My dad had something to do with Forest,im not sure exactly when but it was before 1955.I remember Tommy Lawtons name was mentioned a bit & somewhere in my mums posessions is a photo of my dad in Forest strip kicking a ball about on a snow covered pitch,maybe it was the reserves,don't know ? his name was Leslie Smith.I remember as a very small girl my dad applying the dubbin to his footy boots,& it had a funny smell & a bluish hue,& was very greasy.

• Upvote 1

Tommy Lawton used to play for Notts County, Caz, one of the countries greatsest players. I think he kept the Magna at Lowdham for a while, dare say I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Yes Tommy played for Notts crowds went up from 4,000 to 34 to 40 thousands

could do with him know!!

He used to have the Magna at Lowdham cost you a double whsky if you brought him one.

Ended up in an home at Carlton untill he died was a pleasant man used to sit in the square and you could always talk to him

imback

A double whisky eh! didn't pull his punches then!

A double whisky eh! didn't pull his punches then!

He became notorious for the double whisky stunt...

The initial novelty of having a famous landlord soon wore thin for the locals.

That aside, in almost 60 years of following the game, he remains the greatest, most complete, centre-forward that I have ever seen....bar none - and that from a Forest supporter.

His ability to soar above opponents then seemingly hang in the air, before placing a bullet header past the 'keeper had to be seen to be believed.

For those that saw Tommy play, the sight of this deadleg Crouch playing up front for England last night was sufficient to make the flesh creep.....

Cheers

Robt P.

I don't think that's him? do Forest football club have a web site where I could do a check?

Caz, I've checked the Forest site...

As I suspected, it's not that comprehensive - no such info is available.

I owned a book written by long-time Forest secretary Ken Smales which listed every player up to 1990....if your Dad 'signed' for the Reds, he'll be listed.

Ken Smales - Forest - The First 125 Years (The official statisical record of Nottingham Forest Football Club) ISBN 1 870010 094 Cost £18.50 Published by Temple Printing (Nottm), Trent Works, Wilford Crescent East, Nottingham, NG2 2EF in 1991 A4 book, covers every season, with every conceivable statistic.

Bad news is that I sold the book some while ago, but good news is that I know someone else who has a copy. I've been trying to contact him - to no avail, as yet - to get the information.

Leave it with me, I'll report back...

Cheers

Robt P.

Published by Temple Printing (Nottm), Trent Works, Wilford Crescent East, Nottingham, NG2 2EF

Cheers

Robt P.

Now theres an old one!

Are they still going?

(temples, not Forest) ;)

Thanks for that Guys,it was just a passing thought,you know how it is when you are small,you hear things but they arent always neccessarily what they seem,I will try & get the photo when I visit my mum later in the year & see if we can solve the puzzle lips0

!jumping!

Just spoke to my sis & apparently my dad was in the Forest reserves,mystery solved!?

• 9 years later...

I owned a book written by long-time Forest secretary Ken Smales which listed every player up to 1990....if your Dad 'signed' for the Reds, he'll be listed.

Ken Smales - Forest - The First 125 Years (The official statisical record of Nottingham Forest Football Club) ISBN 1 870010 094 Cost £18.50 Published by Temple Printing (Nottm), Trent Works, Wilford Crescent East, Nottingham, NG2 2EF in 1991 A4 book, covers every season, with every conceivable statistic.

Bad news is that I sold the book some while ago, but good news is that I know someone else who has a copy. I've been trying to contact him - to no avail, as yet - to get the information.

Leave it with me, I'll report back...

Cheers

Robt P.

RIP Ken Smales

B_wjgrOUgAIpBCf.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Some nice "off the cuff" photos there Radfordred, the one's of Fred Reacher, landlord of the Carlton pub brings back memories.