Butter dish help required:

Here is a photo of the two parts of a glass butter dish. I say that the shallow part is the dish and the deep section is the cover (lid). What does the team think?

IMG_9551.JPG?gl=GB

You are correct!

SWMBO always puts the butter in the deep section. I find it difficult to get butter out and therefore thinkk that it should be on the flat part. I see the deep part as a cover.

Yep, shallow, is bottom, deep, the cover.

I could never figure out why butter dishes were the shape, and size, that they typically are - they never seemed the right size for a pack of British butter (Lurpack?). Then I came to the USA! Butter here is universally sold in one pound packs that are made up of four, individually wrapped, quarter pound "sticks" - which are exactly the correct size for the majority of butter dishes sold in the U.K.!

However, no matter the size, the deep bit is ALWAYS the lid!

I have both. We don't often use the one with the man lying on the top. And being paupers we only buy the cheapest butter.

Ah LURPAK BUTTER,used to be delivered to shops i worked in in CWT barells,i got an hernia carrying them into the shops (circa 63:) then we weighed em up into 1lb and half pound blocks on the counter as customers wanted them,same with Lard that came in 28lb blocks, i wont even mention sacks of rice and peas and gross weight being legal.or even sides of danish and Ulster bacon.younsters today would have no notion of CWT,or 5lb bags of taters.sorry got carried away this thread about butter dishes int it :)

• Upvote 3

As said the shallow one is the bottom.

Used to run up to the Co-op for mum and buy a pound of Lurpak best butter, straight from the barrel on the back counter, those were the days.

Today Lurpak just seems the same as all commercial butters no better no worse IMO.

I bought my wife a Thermomix for our anniversary and she sometimes makes our butter in it now, if cream is reduced in price or on special, very quick and easy and brings back memories of the real stuff from years ago. Also one can adjust the salt content according to taste or healthy requirements (low salt diet Yuk ! )

Benjamin, the last shop I saw that still weighed up sugar and butter was John Curley's in Glasgow in the late 1960s.

I Worked in Glasgow,not for Marsdens though, :biggrin: loved the place and the people,always lodged at a b.b, in PARTICK,near KELVIN HALL,,you being a bus driver bet you know it.the usual greeting from the locals was,"you f...... ENGLISH?" In a scots friendly way, :biggrin:

I recently forked out a kings ransom for somer Normandy butter. The stuff was just butter with salt crystals in it! I'm back to Tesco value butter now :)

And now the bloody woman has put a new slab of butter in the deep lid AGAIN........... ARGH!

mam used to put butter on my head if i bumped it,and i remember my Dad using lard when he had no brylcreme.one day there was no brylcreme or lard,so i used butter,HOT DAY AND STUNK THE CLASS OUT :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Never thought there would be such a long conversation about a ' butter dish '.

Amazing int it,the thread went round Europe,Denmark,Normandie and Glasgow,some butter dish :)

Not to mention a couple of stops in the USA!

God help us if someone comes out with the Gullivers Travels one of which end of a boiled egg should be removed for eating...In that story they went to war over it...we'd probably get 200 posts... :laugh:

And for Gods sake don't anybody voice their opinion on this.

• Upvote 1