Does anyone remember a company called Toons who made lace-making machinery years ago. It was still around in the 70's. I have a friend who had dealings with this company and can't remember where the factory was located.

Lizzie the only mentions I can find are of two different factories .

The first is B.Toone who were on Newdigate St and were jacquard lace manufacturers and the second more likely one was A.S.Toone , who , in the 30s, were lace card manufacturers and at that time were at Dulwich Rd. Mill , Radford .The last mention I can see though is in the 1940s so they could well have moved after that .

I say they were different factories but a Frank Toone who died in 1937 was a director of both companies so there was obviously a family connection .

There is a listing in the current online Nottingham Directory for A.S.Toone and sons Deakins Place , Radford and a note that it hasn't traded in the last year .

http://directory-nottingham.co.uk/company/A.s.toone+%26+Sons+Limited/223790

You're always one to be relied upon for photos Kev! Yes that big arch is still there on Hounds Gate isn't it?

Thanks for the further find DavidW. So it seems we may have 4 possible locations for this company.

A S Toon of Deakins Place Radford used to supply sheet material ie Formica, chipboard etc. I used to deliver there forty odd years ago, I don't think they have traded for a long time.

• 3 months later...