Trinity Square - John Herbert, Jeweller

I just wonder if anyone knows anything about the above mentioned person and his business. I well remember his shop but that is about all. Since Trinity Square was demolished the business is now on Wheeler Gate but I think that it is now just purely a business name.

The reason I ask is that I own his car. A 1961 Rover 100 (One of them Rover 90 things to the uninitiated). He had the car many years. My father bought it from someone in Derby in Feb 1991 and it passed to me when he died 18 years ago. Not sure yet who supplied it new but I suspect that it would be C H Truman and I do not know if John Herbert had it from new. I have its service history from the late 60's up to date. I suspect the John Herbert lived at West Bridgford but that is a calculated guess as most of the invoices I have are from Jack Hopewell at WB who are still trading. All the invoices use the shop address.

It would be nice to know if anyone has any info.

Picture of car below taken on Wollaton Park Autokarna about 25 years ago - not good quality it is scanned in from a print.

post-5964-0-53204200-1394469039_thumb.jp

• 10 months later...

Not sure if it's the same person but when I was at school, 1971, I worked at the car-wash opposite the fire-station. There was a chap used to bring his Rover in every Sunday, it was a P6 though. He had a jewellers in Trinity Square. .

John Herbert still had the P4 in 1971. The last invoice I have for work done on it in John Herberts ownership is Sept 1979. If he had a son that was involved with the business it is very logical that he might have had a P6 in 1971.

The Wheeler gate shop is still owned by a family member. I still have my Jaget Droz watch I bought from John. His shop was next to my father in laws newsagent GT Cliffs they were close friends.

Thanks. That might make it a bit more worthwhile walking into the shop with a picture of it and see if anyone knows more about it.

John Herbert still had the P4 in 1971. The last invoice I have for work done on it in John Herberts ownership is Sept 1979. If he had a son that was involved with the business it is very logical that he might have had a P6 in 1971.

This chap was in his thirties, blond hair, often wore a leather coat.

• 1 year later...

I don't recognise Trinity Square at that time. I remember it with a car park in the middle. The rear of John Herbert's shop would have faced the rear of Forman's offices. The clock on the side wall of the corner shop in the picture might suggest it was a jewellers? It seems to be in the right place. I have to wonder looking at the Rover in the picture if it was John Herbert's earlier Rover than the one I have. The one in the picture is a 52/53 model, mine (formerly John Herberrt's) is a 1961.

No clock on the side wall in that picture and it doesn't look like a jewelers either. John Herbert must have appeared later. NAU 300 would have been a 1951 model and so it would have been a 75 Cyclops. Can't tell from the 1st picture as I would need to see the radiator grill!

In 1967 I was given a very nice cameo brooch as a present. I was advised to get a safety chain put on it and my dad took it to John Herbert Jeweller's for me because it was near where he worked. When he collected it my dad said the jeweller had a lot to say about the brooch and how good it was because it was signed on the back. I had forgotten about this until I read this thread. I still have the brooch, but have not worn it for years. They will come back into fashion one day!

• Upvote 2

The box says "Genuine Italian hand carved cameo". The frame is hall marked and on the back of the cameo there are what look like initials. The first letter is hard to read and it looks like an apple with a little stalk sticking out. The next three letters look like CSW done in very "loopy" writing. I have never thought to look at this before! Once more a fellow Nottstalgian is giving me food for thought. Thanks Michael.

• Upvote 1