• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am completely useless at DIY, if the wife wants a shelf putting up or anything like that, she gets the tool box out and does it herself, for one birthday the kids got together and brought her a pink

Smart arse

We were never taught how to repair cars either. It was simply lack of money that taught me to replace plugs, filters, dynamos and water pumps etc. It was easy in the days of Cortinas and vivas. I wou

Space charge makes sence to me, electrons flowing from cathode to anode (or is it other way round, can never remember) & stick a grid between them , put a varying positive or negative charge on the grid & the output varies in step, simples.. :)

Not so simple Steve, electrons one way, current the other way, I'm sure scientists when stuck, just come out with pure BS. The current and electrons going opposite directions came about during the debate on does current flow from pos to neg or vice versa?

I remember when I first started Tech, it was always pos to neg, then some bright physicist came up with NO!! it travels from neg to pos...Then the current and electron wars started.

The "accepted theory" known as the "conventional" theory taught today, is, current flows from pos to neg. BUT, electrons flow from neg to pos......Thats a bit like saying, a river meanders north to south and into the open sea, but, when you sit on a raft on the river, you flow upstream against the flow....LOL

• Upvote 1

You didn't know holes can travel through solids????? LOL I still marvel at theories myself.

Space charge makes sence to me, electrons flowing from cathode to anode (or is it other way round, can never remember) & stick a grid between them , put a varying positive or negative charge on the grid & the output varies in step, simples.. :)

Yes it's still standard taught theory about holes moving through solids..I never could accept that theory.

I self studied vacuum tubes, as we still use them in the amateur service in RF amplifiers... I still cannot accept electrons going one way and current the other way, as is the so called accepted theory of thermionic emmission..

Space charge sure, it's visable as a blue cloud around the cathode when current is blocked by the grid in tubes with three elements or more.

please dont be offended chaps,but this has given me the biggest laugh since joining nosttalgia,its total bollocks to me,love it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Not so simple Steve, electrons one way, current the other way, I'm sure scientists when stuck, just come out with pure BS. The current and electrons going opposite directions came about during the debate on does current flow from pos to neg or vice versa?

I remember when I first started Tech, it was always pos to neg, then some bright physicist came up with NO!! it travels from neg to pos...Then the current and electron wars started.

The "accepted theory" known as the "conventional" theory taught today, is, current flows from pos to neg. BUT, electrons flow from neg to pos......Thats a bit like saying, a river meanders north to south and into the open sea, but, when you sit on a raft on the river, you flow upstream against the flow....LOL

AND MORE,WHEN WILL IT END :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It was to me when they taught it to me Ben, and still is today, but they taught it, was in exams, and we had to pass those exams to get qualified..

Well the electrical BS that is, the electronics and radio theory I had to learn to pass the amateur radio exams to qualify for my license.

Like I said earlier, the fact that I am always skint taught me to have a go at most things. I will never tackle plastering. I can do all my own decorating but like everything else I improved with age. I designed some really good gardens at various places that I've lived but I find myself having less and less time.

• Upvote 1

Like I said earlier, the fact that I am always skint taught me to have a go at most things. I will never tackle plastering. I can do all my own decorating but like everything else I improved with age. I designed some really good gardens at various places that I've lived but I find myself having less and less time.

AT LAST ONE I CAN UNDERSTAND :biggrin:

Usually when you couldn't get coms going in the army it was, a flat battery, a loose wire, we were on the wrong frequency or the aerial had fallen down (or been pinched). The radios were sealed & we didn't mess with them, if they conked they were returned to workshops. I was threatened with a charge once for listening to BBC1 TV sound on 41.5 Megs (channel 1 on the old 405 line system), I was a bad lad.. :)

I am completely useless at DIY, if the wife wants a shelf putting up or anything like that, she gets the tool box out and does it herself, for one birthday the kids got together and brought her a pink electric drill.

But if you want a tree chopping down, I can place it to the exact centimetre to where I want it to go, and tell you how much the tree will weigh when cut up to the nearest 50kg..

• Upvote 3

I got my Hamfistedness from my Dad,he was completly US at owt to do with DIY,my mother was very houseproud and was always having new fitted carpets.

one time she had a very thick one fitted and you couldnt open the door.Dad said he would plane the door bottom.

he took the door off and went in the garden,after much banging planeing and even sawing,he returned triumphant with a shorter door,( and i mean shorter)he fixed it to the jar,obviously way to short,and as mother berated him,THE CAT WALKED IN UNDER IT. :laugh:

• Upvote 2

I am completely useless at DIY, if the wife wants a shelf putting up or anything like that, she gets the tool box out and does it herself, for one birthday the kids got together and brought her a pink electric drill.

But if you want a tree chopping down, I can place it to the exact centimetre to where I want it to go, and tell you how much the tree will weigh when cut up to the nearest 50kg..

I have an ex farmer mate who can also do similar and believe me that is a skill I wont be learning ! I helped him prepare and drop a very large gum tree (very heavy dense timber), it only had one small safe area to go, without taking down the house one way or the big shed the other, he did it with such finesse and ease that it was wonderful but very scary to watch.

I quite enjoyed cutting it up into usable pieces but no tree felling for me.

• Upvote 1

I always ended up with bits left over.

I did change the exhaust on a Morris Minor 1000 on my parents sloping drive many years ago. I ended up dizzy and nauseous after having my head downwards. I don't know how mechanics cope being on their backs for ages.

At least you have an excuse for mucking up an exhaust change. Many years ago I took a Vauxhaul Chevette for a new exhaust to Quickfit in Nottingham. They quickly removed the old exhaust, very carefully as they do (?) and then found they didn't have a new one for that particular model. So they bojjed it back on until the next day. At least my wife could hear me coming home for tea from miles away.

#38,41

Talking of trees, a neighbour asked if he could trim some very tall leylandii that were on my side of our boundary, which I agreed to as bits kept falling off them on windy days, and he was a very practical man. Imagine my mirth when he dropped them straight through his own garage roof!!!!

I don't know what it is, but you'll always have bits left over when stripping something and reassembling it....When I was repairing electric motors and switchgear, there was always a couple of bolts left in the box...LOL I suspect my workmates..

Talking of trees, a mate of mine went up to fell an 80 foot fir tree at another mates house, he'd felled a few trees in his life so was no amateur at it....

The trees going to fall there, he pointed, problem was the tree had a mind of it's own, had it not got "hung up" in another tree, the roof of the other mates house would have had a large hole in it.

Trees are unpredictable, they don't always go where you want them to, sometimes they can snap and literally smack you in the head...I'm very careful when felling trees!!!! Dead trees are widow makers..

• 10 months later...