Without a sense of humour i believe life must be alot harder,i was bought up with lots of laughter among my many Uncles and Aunts,humour is universal and differrent in many parts of the world.even in different parts of England,and nottingham has one of its own.ribbing and insults are still popular among most of us.

I had a walk round my local fishing ponds where i am a member,yesterday,and was subjected to and gave much comedic abuse.micky taking,i loved it.

most (not all)on Nottstalgia seem to have and enjoy this form of humour,is it just a Nottingham thing?

After a long association with the armed services and airline industry I can safely say there is nothing I haven't heard a joke or humorous remark about. Many of these quips would be considered 'sick', though here it is a matter of survival. I think humour is universal but there are those who are sensitive to that thing called 'poor taste' and this sensitivity is found in regional comfort zones.

I'm always impressed by the fact that when someone famous dies - whether they were celebrity, royalty, sport, politics etc etc - within a few hours of the death there are always several good jokes doing the rounds about that particular person.

Are the jokes all stored somewhere, waiting for the appropriate death to happen?

• Upvote 1

I'm always impressed by the fact that when someone famous dies - whether they were celebrity, royalty, sport, politics etc etc - within a few hours of the death there are always several good jokes doing the rounds about that particular person.

Are the jokes all stored somewhere, waiting for the appropriate death to happen?

It's also a fact that no one has a better reputation and is liked by so many people as when they're dead. Seems of benefit all the way round!

"I told you I was ill"

Written on Spike Milligans Headstone, comical till the very end

And it was he who after a night out, banged the door of an undertaker and called, 'SHOP'!!!

I do like a laugh but I find that I can laugh at myself quite easily. Everyone else does anyway. I have to bite my tongue sometimes as my sense of humour can get out of hand.

• Upvote 2

Same here but one person I can't get a laugh from is one of my brothers in law. He's got the personality of a paving slab. He thinks he's the butt of all my jokes, when I fact he's not. But if it irritates him, then that's OK with me.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure that the ability to laugh at, and see the ludicrous side of ourselves, helps to avoid conflict. I had a German student working with me for a few months. At first, he couldn't understand our sense of humour at all. It was beginning to dawn on him gradually until he had been there about a month - speaking almost perfect English all the time. Then one day he had cause to ring his German bank because of some complication with his account. I told him he was free to use the work phone, and he dialled the number. After ringing for a few times, the phone was answered and I saw a look of utter panic come across his face. He sat there silent for about 5 seconds, then slammed the phone down and said, "I haf forgotten how to speak German!" I was almost helpless with laughing, and for a moment I thought he was going to clobber me - then he saw the funny side...

• Upvote 2

I do like a laugh but I find that I can laugh at myself quite easily. Everyone else does anyway. I have to bite my tongue sometimes as my sense of humour can get out of hand.

I NEVER TRUST ANYONE WHO CANT LAUGH AT THEMSELVES

• Upvote 1

IVE Found over the years that having a sense of humour can defuse some tense situations.some years ago i got into spat with a big ugly bloke in a pub in Peterboro,he was sat opposite me at the same table and was really angry with me (he had been using foul language and i asked him to refrain)

In fact he was enraged,and i am sure was about to hit me,WHEN HIS TEETH SHOT OUT and landed in his pint,i cracked up laughing,and thankfully so did he. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Upvote 2
  • 4 years later...

When I told workmates I was getting married the ribbing started, one wag said "she's only marrying you so she can chuck the electric fire in your bath so she can claim the insurance money!" We all fell about laughing except an Italian lady who was horrified that we could laugh & joke about a cold blooded murder, she thought we were all mad, she was probably right, lol...

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I said to someone at work "you're not as daft as you look are you?" She then went off on a tirade about me denigrating her intelligence saying it's not her fault she can't read or write very well. I was wishing I'd kept my big gob shut but that was never going to happen. You had to remember to tread on eggshells when she was around...

• Like 2

She wasn't from Lincolnshire by any chance was she, they don't have a sense of humour out here (miserable sods)

Rog

• Like 1

They are very quick to take offence,no sense of humour whatsoever,still it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it?  (bloody hill billy's)

Rog

• Like 1

Don't forget Hubbard's Hills.  I went there once on me bike after a week in the fens had me going 'Flat Crazy'.  Close run thing.  I was beginning to plan routes up the North Face of Cleethorpes Beach...

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, Brew said:

bit of an oxymoron I think.

Yep we got a few of them morons too

Rog

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Not all flat in Lincs!

You're right they have one decent hill and what did they do with it? Built a bloody great church on top of it! Any bugger with any sense would have said "sod drragging all that stone up there, lets build it on the flat bit near the football pitch"...;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2