Warehouse fire in Meadows (think good Friday 1965 or 66?)

Sat watching telly one night when Dad came rushing in (been to outside toilet) saying "Bill Ropers woodyard is on fire" (Ropers woodyard was at bottom of Glapton Rd Wilford crescent end). It wasn't Bills woodyard on fire but a warehouse just over the central railway track, flames were shooting into the sky, we had a grandstand view at end of Glapton Road. I tried to go through Collingham footway to get a better view but the were red hot embers falling from the sky & the Police sent me back. They were evacuating houses towards Kirk White Street & I saw a chimney on fire from the embers. Fire engines were parked on Glapton Road & the hoses went through a gate on Atterclffe Tearrace & over the railway line. It was an exiting night, anyone else remember it ??..

• Upvote 1

Seems we used to have quite a few large fires back then. Two I remember in particular, one was at the top of Mount St near the junction with Duke St a large factory. Then there was a corker on Vernon Rd junction of Vernon Ave, dye works I seem to remember.

66 I was living on Kirke-White St East and had to walk past that area every night, worked at Clifton Colliery on regular nights, I don't recall that fire, mind you, I could have been sleep walking, I often did working nights....LOL

Memories a bit dodgy these day's Steve, I recall the woodyard near Wilford Road, side of the railway catching fire a few times, don't recall how big or how, just too long ago.

Ironic, but I used to walk to work with a miner who lived near us, sometimes all the way, other times I'd catch up with him.

One night I was a tad later and caught up with him near the top fo Queens Drive, he was looking at one of the houses until I caught up with him...Seems he'd spotted a young couple in one of the houses with the curtains open and going at it.....I won't elaborate...LOL You'll get the drift..

Anyroads, next night he stopped for a perve, but the curtains were closed...

• Upvote 1

Never seen anything like that through a bedroom window, I'd be scared of getting caught looking, lol....

Another thing I remember about the Medders was chimney fires, always seemed to be someones on fire. One day ours was on fire, Mam was chucking salt on the blazing fire, didn't make any difference. Fire engine turned up & fireman just squirted water on it, it soon went out. They went on the roof & put water down the chimney, they moved the rug & all the furniture away from the fireplace as it made rather a mess, there was a burning smell in my bedroom for days after..

It was the front room Steve...LOL

They did after that night...LOL

There was a large fire Mid-late 70s.

Magnet Joinery Factory, in a large mill type building Abbey Bridge end.

Later demolished and MFI store built. MFI Store now also gone,

Also mentioned elsewhere here is the fire at Chilwell Depot around 1975.

There was a large fire Mid-late 70s. Magnet Joinery Factory, in a large mill type building Abbey Bridge end. Later demolished and MFI store built.

Borrowing this photo from Lenton Times, where they say "Part of the factory units situated at the end of Castle Boulevard as they looked in 1978. In the 1980s these buildings were later to suffer a serious fire which prompted the buildings subsequent demolition.

castleboul.jpg

After it was demolished the MFI place was built on the site, and when they went bankrupt the MFI shed was demolished and replaced by this.

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10057&hl=%2Bmodern+%2Bbuildings