Landscape Opps near Nottingham

Ok, I confess. I'm a Londoner, and my Notts knowledge extends to about 8 years.

So, for that reason (i) I dont know the surrounding area too well, and (ii) I couldn't drive if my life depended on it so rely on public transport (or possibly a well-bribed other half).

Recently done a massive kit upgrade and keen to get out and about. Unfortunately my job means I am only home at weekends for the near-term.

So, could any reccomend 'dead certs' for landscapes that could be got at with public transport? I'm initially thinking just head out to the Peaks, but hey, thats a big place when you've only got an afternoon?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did someone mention the Arboretum ?

Another Embankment shot. Wollaton Hall. Nottm Canal.

Just love Nottingham Rog

Difficult on public transport to find anywhere outstanding round here...But I have many happy memories of Attenborough Nature Reserve... if you don't mind a walk and your camera gear isn't too heavy.

nziudc.jpg

• Upvote 1

If as you say you are thinking about the Peak District you would do no better than the Trans Peak bus service from Derby. It runs hourly and you can hop on and off at your leisure.

From Ambergate on the route is a feast of opportunities for the photographer. First along the Derwent valley to Cromford, through Matlock Bath to Matlock on to Two Dales and Darley Dale to Bakewell with Haddon Hall and Chatsworth House. Then along the Wye valley before climbing up over the Taddington by-pass before dropping down again to arrive in Buxton, then on to Whaley Bridge. After here it gets urbanised.

• Upvote 1

theres a trans peak that runs from nottingham about once an hour into the peak districi too go into the square and ask at the transport office for details takes in quite a few of the little villages too

Yes Mick you certainly can my wife originally from Buxton travels that way most of the time.

Piggy I think you will find the Trans Peak no longer runs from Nottingham. The last time the wife went up that way by bus (late last year) she had to catch a bus into Derby and then the Trans Peak.

She informs me that you can get a leaflet from Huntingdon Street that shows the exact route and all the stops. Like Piggy said it now goes through villages like Taddington whereas the old X2 bypassed a lot of the villages.

yes you can use your bus pass mick. saw two different trans peak busses tp1 and tp2 one gose all the way to manchester and i gose to buxton both were nottingham city trans port buses i assumed they started from nottingham.but as isay sure you could get info from broadmarsh bus station or the travel centre in the square.

saw them both today perhaps the nottingham ones only go during the summer when more people are useing them

Just pack a rucksack with a days food and drink, and get on the first piece of public transport that you want, and go to where you want, Because where ever you go in Nottinghamshire you will find great things to photograph. :)

• Upvote 3

Something astray here Transpeak service is operated as it always has been back to the days of the X2 by Trent Barton and according to their web site no longer runs from Nottingham.

I wonder if City transport also do a similar service or a connecting bus but I would have thought not.

One word of warning if its a double decker don't ride on the top deck, as Trent Barton found out last year they don't go under the low bridge in Stockport.

• Upvote 1

TransPeak is now operated by High Peak Buses, and as stated earlier, now only runs between Manchester and Derby. High Peak Buses, based at Dove Holes near Buxton, is also part of the Wellglade group - the owner of Trent Barton. It is quite possible that vehicles are occasionally hired from NCT - I recall a few years ago travelling from Nottingham to Grantham on a NCT Leyland National ('orrible buses) on hire to Reliance.

Blooming heck hasn't Doveholes changed. There wouldn't be enough room to park two buses when I went there some 47 years ago. I wonder if the new company had anything to do with Bower buses, they ran the local services along with Trent Barton.

SWMBO had relatives just outside the village that were a short crawl from the local pub folk night.

Just done that Stephen well bugger me as they say, things have moved on. I lived in Buxton for a number of years whilst courting the wife amongst other things, like caving and climbing. The first time I hired a car was from a small garage in Doveholes well the garage actually there was only one. Ended up with the owners Mk1 Lotus Cortina has he had run out of cars by the time I showed up.

Loved the place in those days of my youth. We used to work double shifts in the winter and spend the summers out and about, great times.