A building which had been empty for several years - and probably remembered by several people here - has finally disappeared. It was to the rear of building known currently as Ocean, and previously Sherwood Rooms and Astoria.

Latterly it was a chinese.......like this:-

greyfriar.jpg

But now it looks like this.

greyfriar1.jpg

greyfriar2.jpg

And from the back it has opened up a view of the Castle which hasn't been possible for quite a few years.

greyfriar3.jpg

• Upvote 1

greyfriar.jpg

The building in the foreground the Pagoda Chinese restaurant was my very first experience of chinese food back in late 60s.

Had lunch there from Peoples College. 3 course 'Businessman's lunch' 7/6d, Main, sweet (usually banana fritter and syrup, or ice cream) and coffee.

Why did they demolish the building??? Are they extending the nightclub I wonder. back in the 1990's my brother and myself used to pop in there before we started work at the Irish Centre.

Had a look at the Planning Dept. It's a bit vague, but the demolition is connected with the whole redevelopment/rebuilding of Broad Marsh and surrounding area. The ex-Chinese may be the first to go, but a lot of other buildings will be following.

The building in the distance with the spire/point is the former Redmayne & Todd place, which hasn't been visible from this angle for years; interesting to see if it survives the forthcoming redevelopment of the area.

greyfriar4.jpg

Surely there must be a preservation order on that?

It has had a number of uses recently including Indian Restaurant.

With development of BM and the tram it must be in a prime position?

Would make a good sports shop selling cricket bats etc?

• Upvote 3

and balls and pads and even wooden rattles to use at football matches- had one of 'em, painted red & white it were!!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...