• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So...Mick, are you saying the missing plane could have landed at Ingoldmells ? !

Hijacked by aliens.

I thought that here in the 21st century we had sophisticated systems that could track where an aircraft was flying? We're now hearing that the standard communication systems on the flight were delibe

Mick2me beat me to it as I was going to suggest the "Flightradar24" site but does that 'picture' depend on the 'plane transponder being switched on if not why wasn't it followed? The site is well worth a visit but a bit frightening around Heathrow!

Take a look at

Nats.aero/blog/2014/03/Europe-24-air-traffic-data-visualisation

It's not just around Heathrow that's busy!!

I have an app called Plane Finder on my iPad, because I'm a bit of an airplane anorak but the site I use the most is Flightstats so I can track my kids as they both do a lot of travelling by air. I had a bit of a heart-stopping moment a few weeks ago when I checked on a Virgin flight my son was on. At the time he was supposed to be half way across the Atlantic and on the flight log displayed on the website the plane went from 35000 ft to 10000 ft when still in the middle of the Ocean. It must have been giving incorrect information because when I spoke to our kid when he got to his destination he said the flight was perfectly normal!!

If anyone wants to read some more technical discussion about the missing plane , Prof Pilots Rumour Network is supposed to be a message board for pilots .

If you have a spare few days to read it all......This link is to the latest page on flight MH270 , currently page number 274 !!

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-274.html

• Upvote 1

Instead of a few "spotters" staring out of various aircraft with binoculars, whey don't they have high resolution cameras streaming the video back to base, or even onto the net to enable everyone to have a look?

As for conspiracies - I'm with the one where certain administrations don't want to let on to others just how much they are being watched.

That data stream from RR Trent 800 engines - presumably they can tell if/when the engines were throttled back (slowing down) and whether reverse thrust was used (during a planned landing).

What is clear now is that it is common to have one or two people on every flight with stolen passports and there is an awful lot of sizable debris floating around in the oceans. How do freight containers just fall off a ship? I know they stack 'em high but surely they should at least be tied down?

• Upvote 1

These things take time - just read that there's a group still looking for Amelia Earhart, whose plane went down in 1937.

• Upvote 1

Containers are "tied" down on ships, we travelled on one from Australia to the US in 89, went through some very "heavy seas" too.

They are interlocked to each other in stacks, and have solid criss crossed "binders" with turnbuckles that are tightened by the ships crew.

But even with all the securing, it's not unknown, according to the Captain on the ship we sailed on, for binders to snap in very heavy seas and containers to break loose.

I have photos of the ship we sailed on, she was pretty well stacked high with containers.

I'll bet that plane is on the ground somewhere, reading reports, the Pilot is probably a member of a terrorist organization, his wife and family are missing, house empty and reports they left a day or so before that flight took place...