Blackstone Street, Kirk White Street

I've "borrowed" this from the excellent RCTS website, because they have some interesting photos of old Nottingham which you don't see anywhere else.

This is taken looking south from the end of the platform at Arkwright Street station. The road on the right is Blackstone Street, and the road going across the end of that is Kirk White Street. Absolutely nothing of this scene remains - including the two chimneys of Wilford Power Station.

ark1-1.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've "borrowed" this from the excellent RCTS website, because they have some interesting photos of old Nottingham which you don't see anywhere else. This is taken looking south from the end of the pl

I can remember the Mullins and I think there were more of the family down the road! Also remember the beer off on the corner across the road from them. Think it was there we used to take the empty po

I lived at 100 Kirkewhite Street and we had a TV - one of the few who had in those days. The power came from an attachment in the light socket but we did had one 2 pin power point in the room but di

Thanks for posting that. My Great Grandmother Mary Harvey lived on Blackstone Street (no 9) after she moved from Queens Grove sometime between 1901 and 1911. I had no idea what Blackstone Street might have looked like as I have not found any pictures of it on Picture the Past. Looking at the picture it doesn't look to me as though living conditions were much different there to what they were on Queens Grove! Guess that picture is mid-late 60's guessing the cars are bangers!

There is a Blackstone Walk dahn't Medders nah!

Pianoman, my maternal grandparents lived at 15 Queens Grove from about 1919 until their deaths, my grandmother died in 1963. My Mum was born there in 1924.

• 6 months later...

If anyone knew the Mullins family I think there house is one of those on the right in the picture,not very big to say they where a very large family ,Mrs Mullins sold nice toffee Apple's,also that wall is where I cut my head open spinning round and loosing my balance,10 stitches I think.then 8 stitches

after running at Portland swimming baths sliding on the water for several feet before cracking head on the wall,both in incidents were good for a few days off school which was ok by me.r

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Steve can you remember when all the kids raided that lorry on cromford st,and nicked that chewing gum,if you don't your older brothers or sisters would.by the way what part of derbyshire do you live,I live in helper.

Living in Swadlincote.

Carn't remember that one but can remember getting empty bottles from the back yard of the beer off and then taking them in to get the refunds.

Do you remember the paper shop on Kirkwhite Street opposite your raod run by the Tarry's, they used to go ten pin bowling.

Have you got a brother or relation named Mark Charlesworth sure we were at school together?

Yes our mark was the only one of 6 that went to rg school he lives up clifton,I remember tarrys ,can you remember Roy and arch had toffee shop next to heasons and sand a removals ,did you have a older brother.

I can remember the shop and the removals business. Across the road on the corner was a fruit & veg shop as I recall. Apparently me mam took me shopping when I was still in a pram and she left me outside the shop and went home before she remembered me. Wouldn't be safe these days.

Had two brothers and a sister, youngest brother was 15 years older than me (think I was a power cut) John, Barbara and eldest Alan.

Not sure about Headons.

• 1 year later...

We lived opposite the Mullins Family. We were number 55 (The Towson Family) Our house was the one just behind the shed in the picture

I think at some time Michelle Mullins and her kids lived just around the corner opposite the bingo hall? The daughter Annette or Jeanette Mullins?? would baby sit for my Brother and I. We would play with the two youngest Mullins boys, Tony and Stephen (I think). Sorry to be vague but I left there when I was six.

Does anybody remember a printers called Barnes and Humby that was on Blackstone Street? Probably until around the early 1970s.

The company moved to the far end of Windmill Lane near the Red Cow and up behind the March Hare and the boss was a chap named C. Hugh Barnes who's father signed Tommy Lawton for Notts County.

I did my apprenticeship as a compositor there.

Does anybody remember a printers called Barnes and Humby ...

The company moved to the far end of Windmill Lane near the Red Cow and up behind the March Hare

I think we've mentioned this before ! ... I worked at TecQuipment around 1976-77 who were across the road on Hooton Street. You were across the road.

I think we've mentioned this before ! ... I worked at TecQuipment around 1976-77 who were across the road on Hooton Street. You were across the road.

Yes, I remember, two Red Cows! I was across the road from 1975 till around 1981-2

Was always interested in the original B & H printshop in the Meadows which I don't think I've ever seen an image of.

My aunty Mrs Beavan moved onto Blackstone Street in 1973, the family were evicted from Clifton for rent arrears, it was a dreadful time for them, they were very short of money due to my uncles health problems - they stayed there until the street was pulled down and moved to Bestwood Estate............

I worked for FMS on Queens Drive in the 1970's, I remember those old streets well.................

• 1 month later...