Blackstone Street, Kirk White Street

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've "borrowed" this from the excellent RCTS website, because they have some interesting photos of old Nottingham which you don't see anywhere else. This is taken looking south from the end of the pl

I can remember the Mullins and I think there were more of the family down the road! Also remember the beer off on the corner across the road from them. Think it was there we used to take the empty po

I lived at 100 Kirkewhite Street and we had a TV - one of the few who had in those days. The power came from an attachment in the light socket but we did had one 2 pin power point in the room but di

I lived at 100 Kirkewhite Street and we had a TV - one of the few who had in those days. The power came from an attachment in the light socket but we did had one 2 pin power point in the room but did not know if it worked or not. Chap from next door was in every night watching the TV and said he would tell us if the socket was live or not. He put a steel knitting needle in one of the holes and wet his finger - I am sure you all know what is coming next - he switched it on and boy o boy did he do a little dance and screaming TURN IT OFF - Where shall I switch it off my Mam asked - FOR GODSAKE ANYWHERE his hair all stood up on end. At least we were then able to use the socket

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 2

#31 When I lived on Kinglake Street we used to watch TV in the front bedroom by using a wire coathanger which dad would hang out of the window. He would have to keep shifting to get a picture.

• 1 month later...

ian dawson. WOW I think you are talking about my family...lol Yes my folks did run a pub yes the "Fownes" family Yes my brother is John Fownes and Yes he played in a band. I am his sister Diane. Nope didn't move to Ozz I moved to Canada. I was stunned to read this post but made me smile also. Not sure who you are I am curious though..LOL

• Upvote 1

Thanks Michael Kinda stumble into this via a google search and saw Ian's comments so I had to figure out who the heck was talking about us after ALL these years..lol Fownes being such a un-common name back in the day. My folks ran two pubs briefly the one Ian talked about back in the day was the Midlands Hotel but I'm sure it was called many names over the yrs. And my folks did run in back in the late 60s or 70 not earlier or later as we were only there briefly folks didn't like the roughness of the area and place. We then moved to Newark and my folks bought the Kings Arms out there. Then we finally moved back to Nottm and in 81 I moved here to Canada BC. Yes we did grow up in Mansfield my brother John moved back their a few years back. Oh now feeling old lol where did the years ago. Here I find myself so many years later in a different country with 3 beautiful granddaughters. lol.

• Upvote 1

Well? Diane my memory is still sharp,johns purple flying V ,I'll never forget!

Steve Cripps ( recall him?) lived further up Peachey Street- I met him after 20 odd years on a building site: he said - "Dawson's?... oh yeah,your mam and dad had some great rows!!"

Living on a street was special then/moonlight flits and vinegery chips.

You are correct Ian I do remember who you are. LOL Your brother Geoff and I were sweet on each other. And you were the pesky lil brother. LOL Yes I remember the guitar in question my brother made. He's now back into his other hobbies of model trains and well known and respected he's now known as "Cardboard John" for the model trains he's built. I saw a comment about his work on the forums here. All I can say is "WOW" after all these years. Kinda a cool b.day prezzy for me. seeing as May 2nd is tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Michael My heart is still in Nottm. Lots of awesome memories I was only chatting about them last night over a bottle of wine with a dear friend and today I find this. WOW. Happy to be among such delightful people thank you xxxx

• Upvote 2

Thanks Ian over the photo comment taken last summer. We do have summers in Canada BC. hehehe. I live in a place called Kelowna BC. BEAUTIFUL place. Mountains, Forest and a Huge lake complete with a mystery monster called Ogopogo. Been living here now for over 25 yrs after 10 yrs of city life in Vancouver BC.

A very happy Birthday to you!

Yes my Brother was the blonde tall one- I was the pest with a squint, bandaged knees in plastic sandles!

I did improve though...with age,I now recall when we last met..45,Bridlesmith gate..aka..Camelots.

Hehehe Ian yes your brother was the cute one he was my first true love awwww all at the sweet age of 11 yrs of age. Yep you were a raga muffin tiz for sure but adorable too. Yes Camelots Your brother Nick was a bouncer you worked there also. I do recall being a wee bit drunk that night as it was a matter of days before I was to jet away alone to foreign parts. Wow the power of the internet I'm still stunned to find this after ALL these years. I'm so chuffed ...lol

• Upvote 1

We do have summers in Canada BC. hehehe. I live in a place called Kelowna BC. BEAUTIFUL place. Mountains, Forest and a Huge lake complete with a mystery monster called Ogopogo. Been living here now for over 25 yrs after 10 yrs of city life in Vancouver BC.

That's interesting, fownesey. I've been to Kelowna many times, sometimes staying there for up to a month. My previous partner's parents lived there, firstly in Westbank then down in the town.

Absolutely love the place, it's just a jewel and I once had hopes of living there.

I wrote on many occasions of my times there:

https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/tag/kelowna/

DSCN1355.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh Really Stu....that's amazing most ppl have NO clue were Kelowna is in Canada. I lived in Westbank for Many years then moved into town this past fall I returned back to living on the Westside. It's very HOT here at the moment just got back from being in Kelowna just had a late lunch with daughter over looking the lake the Tourists are already starting to arrive. Downside of living in Gods country as it's known summer along come the drones of tourists. lol.

• 10 months later...

This is an amazing photo . Message for Pianoman - I also have a relative who lived at 9 Blackstone Street. This was my Grandfather, Albert Younger's address on the day that he died following the Chilwell Shell Filling factory explosion on 1st July 1918. My mother Irene and her siblings also lived there.

3 hours ago, Potters said:

This is an amazing photo . Message for Pianoman - I also have a relative who lived at 9 Blackstone Street. This was my Grandfather, Albert Younger's address on the day that he died following the Chilwell Shell Filling factory explosion on 1st July 1918. My mother Irene and her siblings also lived there.

I have my G. Grandmother Mary Harvey at 9 Blackstone Street on the 1911 census. She probably moved there post 1907. (21 Queens Grove on 1901 census) I have her at 44 Wilford Crescent West in 1915 on my Grandfathers WW1 service records. I wonder if your family knew mine?