Newspaper reports from 50 years ago

As I have mentioned, I am hoping to move into my late dad's old house soon. I have been busy re-decorating. I took up the old carpets in the front room and under that was the underlay my parents bought from the Ideal Homes Exhibition at the Ice Stadium 50 years ago. And under that was the sheets of newspaper they laid down for extra insulation. Interesting reading.

From the Daily Mirror May 28th 1964 - Bully Beef check - 9 more get typhoid. Apparently it was sold in a shop in Aberdeen. In the same paper was Ted Dexter playing for a struggling England team against the Aussies at Lords.

Also, Lord Chief Justice Lord Parker blames girls for lads showing off and upping the crime statistics.

From the Nottingham Evening Post (broadsheet) May 27th 1964, . Line closure step back into last century. Dr Beeching rears his head again. Concerning a hearing at Buxton about the closure of the railway from Manchester Piccadily to Buxton, Buxton and Miller's Dale and services from Manchester Central to Derby

In the same paper a call for special powers to evict Tinkers from undeveloped land in Nottingham Also at Shipsides a year old Wolsey for 695 pounds.

From the Daily Mirror May 29th, a report that Donald Campbell reached 352 MPH in his car BLUEBIRD at Lake Eyre in South Australia. He was less than 50mph away from the land speed record of 394.196 mph set up by John Cobb in 1947.

From the same newspaper, a man who broke a 30 year driving ban was jailed at Middlesex sessions for a year. Also banned from driving for life.

Also in that paper, a centre spread about a train crash at Cheadle Hulme in Chesshire. Apparently the train derailed at the station with at least one carriage turning over. The train was carrying a load of Cheshire schoolkids on a days outing to York. Several were seriously injured. Two children killed and one man, a BR representative who organized the trip was also killed.

Comments please.

• Upvote 6

Lizzie I am trying to decorate throughout, re-model the kitchen and lay new carpets and floorboarding. AND work full time. My wife and I are cream-crackered. Fortunately from beginning of March we have 2 months to do it so every time we go there to do work we take a car-load of boxes of things. Some jobs are a pain like the electric cable going across the middle of the ceiling of one of the bedrooms after we removed built in wardrobes. I suspect it is an alarm cable attached to one of the outside lights. You know what will happen if that gets disconnected.

So when I have had enough, I do some reading to wind down.

,#5 ey bilboraborn i"d offer to give you a hand but being useless in all things practical,IE HAM FISTED AND A LEFTIE,I"LL LET YOU CRACK ON"

HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1