anyone remember Redfearns pop makers of Highbury Vale Bulwell?

mr Redfearn sponsored a schools football competitioni n the BULWELL area in the 50s,i went to Henry whipple school and in 1956 played in the 1st Redfearn cup,we beat HIGHBURY in the semi final 1-0 on st. albans rd,then lost 6-2 in the final to St MARYS on the Spingfield school ground.

A lad named Peter Smedley played for St marys and was a brilliant all round sportsman,he was related to Smedleys cobblers who were on Carey rd opposite Adelphi pictures for many years.Sadly he died at only 18.Another lad in their team was named Chettle"and i believe was either the father or Uncle of Steve Chettle of FOREST fame.

• Upvote 1

#3 ah yes jackson Corona tops were something else,what happened to Corona? and Redgates and RL Jones?

I sent the Basford Bystander to my eldest brother recently. There was an article about Redferns in there. My dad worked at a place called William Evans on Highbury Vale before he started his own business. This is what my brother wrote to me after reading the article.

Interesting reading about Redfern’s minerals in the Bystander. Redfern’s lorries were built by Evans’ when dad worked there, and dad used to signwrite them. The tail boards were beautiful, with pictures of bottles and fruit. I once went to Redfern’s with dad – he was doing some work there. One of the Redfern brothers was there, he was a spastic, with arms and legs all over the place. I saw dad light up a cigarette for him – the only time I saw dad with a fag in his mouth! Redferns drinks were by far the best; you could see bits of the fruit in them. For the Coronation in 1953 they produced three kinds of lemonade – the usual clear kind, a red coloured one and a blue coloured one.
  • Upvote 3

We were lucky in this area, we had Carter's, Redferns, Redgates, Corona, Jones and I dare say many smaller more localised ones. With my parents having a chip shop, I came into contact with several brands, but I always liked Carter's best.

I certainly remember Redferns, it was on the side of a cut through from Ingram Terrace to Highbury Road, you could look into their yard as you walked by.

#5 I SAW that in Bystander katyjay,it prompted to me to mention it here,the photo in bystander of the HIGHBURY lads was at the semi final on St albans rd,the HIGHBURY TEAM had their brand new kit on supplied by Mr Redfearn.us Whipple lads wore alot of ill matched kit that was very tatty,we were jealous of them,

BUT WE STILL BEAT EM" :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
I sent the Basford Bystander to my eldest brother recently. There was an article about Redferns in there. My dad worked at a place called William Evans on Highbury Vale before he started his own business. This is what my brother wrote to me after reading the article.
Interesting reading about Redfern’s minerals in the Bystander. Redfern’s lorries were built by Evans’ when dad worked there, and dad used to signwrite them. The tail boards were beautiful, with pictures of bottles and fruit. I once went to Redfern’s with dad – he was doing some work there. One of the Redfern brothers was there, he was a spastic, with arms and legs all over the place. I saw dad light up a cigarette for him – the only time I saw dad with a fag in his mouth! Redferns drinks were by far the best; you could see bits of the fruit in them. For the Coronation in 1953 they produced three kinds of lemonade – the usual clear kind, a red coloured one and a blue coloured one.

The one with a disability was Jack Redfern - He was a bit scary to us kids but as you say he only wanted his fags lighting.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

yes i remember redfearns pop i was at school with ian the son and the best pop i can remember is portello and hoarhound

DO you also remember the "Penguin" cafe in Bulwell market? they sold Portello" also its the only place i recall having a " juke box" that took threpenny bits"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

A pal at the ROF married Redferns daughter. Met her a few times but name escapes me.

Would that be Phyllis Redfern who married Arthur Kerry?

A bit more digging (mostly FreeBMD hence dates spanning 3 months) revealed some detail of the Redfern family:

Arthur Henry Redfern married Phyllis Haslam (daughter of Samuel Haslam of Sutton in Ashfield) in Mansfield (Apr-Jun 1902)

They had four children, the house on Highbury Vale and the manufacturing plant up Ingram Terrace.

Arthur Leslie Redfern, born Oct-Dec 1904, married Elsie Allen (Jul-Sep 1930), one daughter, Patricia Redfern, born Oct-Dec 1936.

Henry Ivan Redfern, born Jan-Mar 1906, married Maggie Powdrill (Jul-Sep 1932), one son, Henry I Redfern, born Jul-Sep 1943. 

Phyllis Gwendoline Redfern, born Jul-Sep 1909, married Arthur Kerry (Jul-Sep 1937), see children below.

John ('Jack') Redfern, born Jul-Sep 1916 (had cerebral palsy).

Phyllis and Arthur Kerry had four children:

Arthur V Kerry, born Oct-Dec 1938

Samuel L Kerry, born Jan-Mar 1947

Gwendoline R Kerry, born Oct-Dec 1949

Phyllis G E Kerry, born Oct-Dec 1950, married Brian Rogers, Jul-Sep 1970.  I believe this is the 'Gail' Rogers who contributes to Picture the Past.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, The Engineer said:

Would that be Phyllis Redfern who married Arthur Kerry?

A bit more digging (mostly FreeBMD hence dates spanning 3 months) revealed some detail of the Redfern family:

Arthur Henry Redfern married Phyllis Haslam (daughter of Samuel Haslam of Sutton in Ashfield) in Mansfield (Apr-Jun 1902)

They had four children, the house on Highbury Vale and the manufacturing plant up Ingram Terrace.

Arthur Leslie Redfern, born Oct-Dec 1904, married Elsie Allen (Jul-Sep 1930), one daughter, Patricia Redfern, born Oct-Dec 1936.

Henry Ivan Redfern, born Jan-Mar 1906, married Maggie Powdrill (Jul-Sep 1932), one son, Henry I Redfern, born Jul-Sep 1943. 

Phyllis Gwendoline Redfern, born Jul-Sep 1909, married Arthur Kerry (Jul-Sep 1937), see children below.

John ('Jack') Redfern, born Jul-Sep 1916 (had cerebral palsy).

Phyllis and Arthur Kerry had four children:

Arthur V Kerry, born Oct-Dec 1938

Samuel L Kerry, born Jan-Mar 1947

Gwendoline R Kerry, born Oct-Dec 1949

Phyllis G E Kerry, born Oct-Dec 1950, married Brian Rogers, Jul-Sep 1970.  I believe this is the 'Gail' Rogers who contributes to Picture the Past.

Think it was Pat Redfern. Married John Deacon.