We didn't get Redferns pop in Hucknall. It was Haslams. The mention of a Redfern marrying a Haslam brought this to mind.

Haslams were making pop to, my knowledge, from the late 1940's onwards to the 50's at least. Then, Corona seemed to take things over with their home delivery service.

I particularly liked their orange pop - it had real bits of orange floating in it. Also, cream soda and dandelion & burdock.

Haslams factory was on Portland Road just up and on the other side from Butler's Hill School. Google SV* tells me (I think) the building is now the East Midlands Window Centre and Bite 2 Eat. Haslams was down the alley between those - they open into a courtyard which also housed Buckleys Ice Cream factory.

*Google SV is sometimes out of date down here. In mine, that map is 2008.

Gran Shan - Yes! It was brown to look like beer and we used to kid ourselves it had beer in it so we'd roll around "drunk" after drinking it. Was it 60's though? I seem to remember it being a bit earlier.

Funny that Dandelion & Burdock was brown and quite similar to Gran Shan but didn't have the same pseudo-intoxicating effects.

• Like 2

Dad did the signwriting of Redfern's lorries in the early 1950s. The lorries were built up from rolling chassis by F Evans, where dad worked. On the lorry tailboards he painted a spectacular display of bottles and fruit, some cut in half. For the Coronation in 1953, Redferns' produced lemonade in red, white and blue colours - the white was the usual brew.

Edit: Oh dear. I have said all of this in a previous posting.

• Like 1

One of my favourites bottles of 'pop' was Portello, lovely stuff. Anyone remember 'horehound' came in a large bottle that you had to handle like a UXB or most of it went on the floor when you opened it.

• Like 1

I liked R L Jones pop best, Sunecta mixed fruit was my favourite, fond memories as a kid of sitting on the grass at the welfare watching the cricket or bowls with a bottle of Mixed Fruit and either a bag of Smiths Crisps with the little blue bag of salt or KP salted peanuts

• Like 1

Well remember Buckleys ice cream Jonab .Jim Buckley used to live just up the road from me and kept a freezer at home full of ice cream for the neighbours, just knock at the door and you were served with whatever you wanted. His daughter and the girl next door used to take me to school before I was old enough to go on my own. Haslams pop was good stuff and having them next door to an ice cream factory was paradise.

• 3 weeks later...

Redfearns pop was great with fish ‘n chips from Hadlums chippy on Broxtowe Lane. My Mum served there late 1950s-early 60s. Tizer was nice too!

Anyone know where I can get some good old fashioned Ginger beer from? I mean the stuff that curled ya tabs and closed ya nostrils!

• Upvote 2

I think that Redgates, Carters and Corona all made a type of ginger beer. Lovely and refreshing !

• 1 year later...

My friends dad drove a delivery lorry for R L Jones we went in the lorry doing deliveries on Saturdays i remember Sunecta and Gran Shan i cannot remember where Jones depot was as i was only 9 at the time would have been late 50s.

Heading towards Western Boulevard, around 100 yds past The Wheatsheaf on the same side, near to the sports ground.  I was in that area in March last year. Neither the sports ground nor the depot have survived.