Mansfield Road renumbered & Herbert Kilpin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh well try again , good job that tab was still open ! Getting mixed up with street numbers ! Yesterday on a Facebook page ,read for the first time ,about Nottingham-born Herbert Kilpin , born i

Looks like Mansfield Road was renumbered. In the 1889 directory, there are two pubs listed which still exist today. In 1889 the Golden Fleece is given as 41 Mansfield Road but it is now 105. A chang

To celebrate the 150th birthday of Herbert Kilpin the makers of the film The Lord of Milan are giving a free viewing weekend   https://vimeo.com/386993166 Watching it now and there is q

These properties on Melbourne Street/Mansfield Road were demolished for the building of Victoria Railway Station.

2) Furley & Co Wholesale Grocers

4) Coach & Horses Public House

MailCourt

6) Joseph Abbott Confectioner

8) Robert Eardley Pastrycook

Garden Court

10) John Holmes Brazier

Bear Court

Charles Clarke Bricklayer

Joseph Alvey Chimney Sweeper

Mrs Alice Wilkins Registered Lodging House

12) Albert Goode Hairdresser

Bran Court

Information Kelly's directory 1891

NTGM014077.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If there are any Notts based Nottstalgians that read the Evening Post , could you keep an eye out for this story about Herbert Kilpin that should be published shortly in the Post or maybe Bygones ?

Weeks ago I happened to see in the Post online , another story about an old Forest footballer and they asked for similar stories, so I sent in most of the info contained here about how the addresses had got confused by the Italians due to the re-numbering .

Just yesterday the features reporter contacted me and said they were printing the story about Herbert Kilpin and wanted some of my details .

I asked him to advise me when it's published but they don't always do that . So if anyone happens to see it , could you let me know and I will inform some relatives in Nottingham to buy it for me .

In the meantime I will set upa "Kilpin" google alert to see if that finds anything when printed . Ta !!

• 2 weeks later...

My google alert picked up the online Herbert Kilpin and Mansfield Rd re-numbering story. Not sure if its printed in the Post or Bygones though its dated with todays date .

I did tell the Post reporter it was solved with help from this message board but they haven't printed that bit !

Link to story below

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Desperately-seeking-football-legend-Kilpin-s/story-20988727-detail/story.html

Thanks DaveN . I realise that now , had forgotten the Post was published on a Bank Holiday !

Hope they got the captions correct to the photos in tbe newspaper . In the online version , if you scroll through the images at the top of the article they have my description with a photo of a flat capped , baggy shorted , 1900s footballer ! Actually not a bad likeness !!

I have emailed the reporter to tell him the captions are all wrong so may be changed

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Desperately-seeking-football-legend-Kilpin-s/story-20988727-detail/story.html

• 1 year later...

Bump .

There's a new book to be published later this year on Herbert Kilpin by Robert Nieri

Kilpin was the Nottingham born founder of A.C.Milan.

News of it and some Notts County history here :

http://mobile.nottscountyfc.co.uk//news/article/herbert-kilpin-the-lord-of-milan-and-the-origins-of-notts-county-fc-2994332.aspx

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Nottingham-born Herbert Kilpin , born in 1870 .

Had a very nice pint of Kilpin pale ale brewed by Black Iris in the newly opened Herbert Kilpin pub if theres any awards for rejuvenating Nottingham buildings this deserves first prize.

ClJ22IIWYAA4wqW.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great photo thanks for posting .

Theres a further story in the EP about the opening .

Shame they couldn't check their own archives for the facts !

Herbert Kilpin was the son of a butcher ....not a builder !

http://www.nottinghampost.com/old-rhinegold-restaurant-herbert-kilpin/story-29400526-detail/story.html

• 2 months later...

I am working with Robert Nieri the author of a new book "Lord of Milan" that will be launched on the centenary of Herbert Kilpin's death on the 22nd October in Milan and then on the 26th October in Nottingham.

http://www.lordofmilan.com/

Robert and I were working independently on having a plaque placed on Kilpin's birthplace and it was Nottingham City of football that paired us together with this project. So for the past three months we have been working together on having a commemorative plaque placed on 191 Mansfield Road. The plaque has been designed and agreed by the same makers of Nottingham Civic Society ones and we have the societies full backing with our campaign, all we need now is the landlords permission to mount it which we hope to have soon.

• Upvote 2

Maybe AC Milan should buy it . Probably cost about the same as a Serie A footballer's little finger !

• Upvote 1

Hang on Lizzie, I've could buy Notts County. I won £35 on the Lottery last week.

Now before anyone complains, I was joking. 

• 1 month later...

Yes I have been following news about the plaque on Facebook which I think is Andy B' s page who has posted above on this thread .

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1584848908483476

P.S. if anyone knows of an old photo of the shop when it was Kilpins butchers , Andy B would love to see it . (Probably isn't one anywhere as our resident expert Cliff Ton can't find one) . :)

• Upvote 1
Had an email from Robert Nieri today about his shortly to be released book on Herbert Kilpin "The Lord of Milan" . I don't think he would mind me quoting some of his email here with news that the book is being released in an Italian version too.

"As you expressed interest in the book at the time I thought I'd let you know that I will launching the Italian version before the Italian press at AC Milan's HQ- Casa Milan- this Thursday- and I'm travelling out to Milan with a film company who are producing a documentary about Kilpin which they are funding via kickstarted: www.leftlion.co.uk/kilpin 

The story is starting to get national press, both here and in Italy, ahead of the launch. There will be an article on Kilpin in next Saturday's Guardian by Richard Williams and on the same day in the Gazzetta dello Sport. We had national BBC Football coverage last week: 

...... selling (the book ) direct from my website and also on Amazon as well as at a couple of outlets in Nottingham
  • Upvote 2