Padstow Bilateral (Comprehensive) School

This photo was in an edition of the Nottingham Guardian Journal of 7th Nov 1964 , of girls from Padstow School which may be of use to someone , someday .

Though my wife went to this school she would have been slightly younger than these girls and can't help with any names unfortunately .

8573038342_b5ce47e263_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

For those who go back this far.

Back Row

Christopher Prince, Ian Smith, Richard Pynegar, Tony Lawson, John Hunt

Front Row

Paul Hodson, Michael Turgoose, Victor Preston, Brynley Willems, Bill Dale

I can provide a higher resolution if needed.

Cairns Australia

post-6457-0-19819500-1395394766_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Welcome Vic !

There is already a thread for Padstow in the schools thread , there have been no replies on that one yet and the photograph on that is from the same era .Maybe admin could combine ?

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10697

• Upvote 1

Hello vic49,doesnt seem to be any old Bestwood/padstow people on the forum,ive mentioned both several times,but nil responde.I left Padstow in 1960 it was sec.modern then.

Well I'm on it now! (Dave Jackson)

We lived on Sandhurst Rd Bulwell - opposite the cricket pavilion with Hemmington's farm behind the "house" - it was a prefab.

When I was 13 we moved to Arnside Rd since me and my brother were at High Pavement GS and it was just on the door-step.

I remember eating in the Padstow Palace dinner hall when HP's school kitchen was temporarily closed for some reason.

My brother and my two sisters all attended Henry Whipple Junior school.

I was at HP from 1955 - the year it was opened - until 1962. I now live in Kraków in southern Poland. I left the UK in 2005 and have lived in Spain and Germany before settling in Poland.

The biggest shock for me was in 2007 when I revisited the area and found that new development where my school had stood. All of the roads were named after HP teachers I knew well - it was very moving.

I remember only two people who attended Padstow Palace - Mick Dicks and Phyllis Clark (spelling uncertain)

TTFN

Dave J

• Upvote 1

Nice 1 Dave,at last a Bestwood boy,yes sad to see the old school playing fields all gone,we new them as BACK WALL,I lived on Andover rd and used to climb over the wall to your sports fields,spent all our time on them playing football and cricket,before HP was built i was schooled in the wooden huts,which i am sure you remember.

When I was at HP the girls from Padstow used to hang around the gates waiting for us coming out. Your old huts we used for changing rooms One doubled as the tuck shop with the most fantastic bags 4d each as I recall

Dave, re #7, if you started at High Pavement in 1955, you must have been in the same year as my cousin - Tony Daniels. He also lived on Arnside Road (No.54) with his mum and dad (my aunt and uncle) but they moved to Cleethorpes in 1956. Any possibility that you might remember him?

• 1 year later...

I also went to Padstow, I left in 1982, lived on Raymede drive at the time.

Jock Gallagher was the headmaster, he retired and was replaced by a bloke from down south, Mr Samuels, he lives at Kimberley and I bump into him a couple of times a year.

Even though i left Padstow in 1960 i bet we know alot of the same familys Ray,i had lots of relatives there right up to the 90s.

• 2 months later...

Rummaging in the Garage again today,found some old Padstow and Henry Whipple pictures,put them on here if i can fathom out how. lol.

• 2 months later...

For those who go back this far.

Back Row

Christopher Prince, Ian Smith, Richard Pynegar, Tony Lawson, John Hunt

Front Row

Paul Hodson, Michael Turgoose, Victor Preston, Brynley Willems, Bill Dale

I can provide a higher resolution if needed.

Cairns Australia

Brynley Williams had a younger brother Trevor , he was in my class at Henry Whipple and Padstow .

• 5 years later...
On 3/19/2013 at 9:25 PM, DAVIDW said:

This photo was in an edition of the Nottingham Guardian Journal of 7th Nov 1964 , of girls from Padstow School which may be of use to someone , someday .

Though my wife went to this school she would have been slightly younger than these girls and can't help with any names unfortunately .

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8573038342_b5ce47e263_z.jpg

Was looking for old photos with my mamar from her school days, was shocked to see my mama the first one on second row on the left, christine wright. 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
On 2/3/2024 at 12:14 PM, benjamin1945 said:

I remember Buddy's passing.......i was in my last year at Padstow school

There's a school photo of Padstow on Nottingham Lost School Friends Facebook site, Ben. Might be around your era. Have you seen it?

Knew all these Jill......most in my class at some stage..........May be an image of 9 people

• Upvote 1

Just seen the photo's you meant Jill.......none of my year.....but recognised a few faces....

Jill the one male on the photo is Mr Bett.........great Teacher gave me my love of History.........also gave me the ''Strap''....but still liked him........:)

• Like 1