Padstow Bilateral (Comprehensive) School

I have to admit that I had never heard of the term bilateral school so I looked it up on t'interweb.

The only one in Nottingham is Nottingham Bluecoat School in Aspley which is a mixed school.

Peveril was a bilateral school in the 60’s and 70’s for sure. Also the term ‘Technical grammar’ was used. The brighter kids, presumably identified from 11+ results went into ‘T’ classes (T1, T2 etc). I’m sure there were other bilateral schools. 

Bilateral schools seem to have been a Nottingham phenomenon. No one in Derbyshire, for instance.  has ever heard of them, apparently.  They, along with grammars, disappeared in September 1974 in Nottingham City at any rate. Replaced by one size (doesn't) fit all comprehensive schools.

At one time you had to be Church of England to go to Bluecoat. I don’t know if that’s still the case. I’m very much against religious indoctrination in education. Our village school is C of E. Our son went there for a year but my wife, a former schoolteacher, was not happy with the standard of education and we moved him to a prep school where he ultimately passed the entrance exam for Nottingham Boys’ High. Our daughter followed him into the prep and ultimately the Girls’ High School. Our son has a PhD and our daughter an MA. I had to pay to give them the quality education I received for free at a grammar school.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bluecoat was one of the options when I was choosing a secondary school. A good friend at primary school chose to go there and put a lot of pressure on me to do likewise but the stipulation was that you must attend church or Sunday school every week. I didn't want to do that and it caused a rift between the two of us. She went to Bluecoat and I did not.

When the kids were pre school a neighbour stated to attend Sunday service, not because she was a Christian but purely so the vicar would endorse her application for the Bluecoat school, it worked too.

Greenwood was also a Bilateral School, I went there in the G Grammar form it also had a T Technical form.  I left at the end of the 4th form, my own choice, as in the June of the 4th year my mother was panicking over purchasing my uniform etc for the next year. 5 of us at home , 5 already left and only I parent, so no one cannot convince me that the financial position of parents does not have an effect on the childrens education. 

If I had gone to Padstow just think what I could have learnt from Ben.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1