Is that the back and sides thread, or the lingo thread. Us ancients go off at a tangent occasionally you it's still raining damn me

• Upvote 1

That's good, and I bet you find yourself looking up unknown words to get a wider vocabulary . Good for your son too.

Spelling, grammar and punctuation, that's something I've got a bee in my bonnet about.

When I first had a mobile, it took me ages to send a simple text as I was always trying to find full stops and commas etc.

I'm afraid I now use just the basics. See how technology has desecrated our once beautiful language.

I still use full punctuation when texting. I can't imagine being so busy, or texting so much, that I don't have enough time to do that. I've even used short paragraphs.

Also, was anyone else a fan of 'It pays to increase your word power' in the Reader's Digest when younger? It was surprising how often a word you used commonly would actually have a slightly different meaning to what you thought as you'd only use it in one context.

In my early teens, I was fascinated by dictionaries, but better was to come when I got Rogets Thesaurus.

It's probably why I like the Word Association topic so much.

#27, Thats what i meant about giving "fair dos" to foreigners who learn English,so many words can have different meanings.

• Upvote 1

The English language is absolute murder. Developed from a mixture of the Latin from southern Europe and the guttural from Northern Europe and loads in between. Also words added since from the Empire. So many words meaning the same thing but needing to put into context. Nevertheless I love my mother language and encourage my grand-children to learn more words. I tell them it is there language and to use it with pride.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

I have recently learned 'good morning and hello' in about ten languages,as the work ive been doing involves greeting people from all over the world,and the pleasure i get from the look on their faces is really nice,and hopefully sets them up for the day.

I will test you then Benjamin. I have recently come back from Greece and I like to learn basic expressions while on holiday so without cheating what is good morning and hello in Greek. 😃

I can say "I'll have a beer please" in English, French, German, Italian, Swedish, Icelandic, and Siswati. I used to know it in Chinese, but have forgotten.

It is important to know certain phrases don't you think?

• Upvote 1

A bit of variety might be advantageous Eric don't you think.

I will test you then Benjamin. I have recently come back from Greece and I like to learn basic expressions while on holiday so without cheating what is good morning and hello in Greek.

Don't know..........

#23, DJ, I had a G/F in Australia who was of a German family, in fact her Fathers photo showed him in Nazi war uniforms..... She had an Aussie accent, but what fascinated me was when she was going to spend the night with me, she'd call her Mother up, to let her know she wouldn't be home that night, start in English and by the time she'd got to "Mutter" she'd be speaking fluent German without ever realizing it.

My mrs is Russian so I have had to learn Russian. In some ways its more straightforward than English.

I speak with little accent as the army beat it out of me, but the mrs always remarks that when I go to Nottingham its like I am speaking a different language. Ayup took some explaining. She still cracks a smile whenever she hears anyone referred to as "duck" I explained to her that it was exactly the same word as a waterfowl and she nearly laughed herself sick.

Of course the phrase that pays in Russian is "Morshna balshoy peeva pajalsta" (It is a very polite way of asking for a large beer. Peeva or Piva is beer. If you ask for a large vodka, you will be served with a litre of the stuff!)

My Radford lingo didn't change much until I started travelling around as a technical rep aged 25. Even then it was a slow change and I noticed that as I became involved with professional people and company owners my 'lingo' probably held me back a bit. I only realised this when I started to go abroad on business where I was treated differently and with more respect. The Yanks, Japs and Germans were only interested in my technical abilities and if I could produce a good result with a project. It was like a new world opening up, to this rough Radford lad. I just did not realise how bleddy class ridden we English were at that time. OK I've smoothed off a bit now but the lingo comes back when I've had a few. :biggrin:

My son has flown to Sochi today ........ I don't think it will take him very long to learn "Morshna balshoy peeva pajalsta" !!

My mrs is from that part of Russia, the north caucasus. (Kavkas) Ive been to Sochi and its lovely in the summer. Hot weather and huge beaches.

My son has flown to Sochi today ........ I don't think it will take him very long to learn "Morshna balshoy peeva pajalsta" !!

I do laugh when I go to Weatherspoons pubs - they have Baltika 7 beer in bottles. Its Russian and tastes exactly the same as it does in Russia. Not that it is a good beer, but for consistency its good! Baltika is in various numbers. Baltika 0 has no alcohol at all and is surprisingly palatable. Baltika 9 is brain death in a can.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Lizzie, It's just that I lived in Sweden 27 years and I speak the lingo, just though it might be nice to chat to someone on here and exchange memories.