My family ,the seven of us had just returned from a stint overseas in Malta.Our Dad Flt.Sgt T.R. Preston and Mam Dorothy (Doll) with us kids with an age span of 5 to 22 .we all had our own agendas, never really a together family. We had to compress ourselves into a small terrace at 34 Grove Road Lenton with crusty uncle Horace and aunts Flossie. It was a bit bit odd , but at the time we thought it normal that Dad's sister had married my fathers brother. I can't remember much only that is was a culture shock, us all being compressed into a terraced house below Abbey Bridge, sleeping 3 to a room with a boozy uncle who preferred the pub to any other social interaction. I had to attend the local school with the locals who must have thought we were a bit different from the norm with no particular accent, maybe even a little bit posh...We waited patiently for a permanent place to live, it semes like forever. ......

Sorry Vic, I've not quite grasped the bit about dad's sister and fathers brother. You're not Welsh are you........LOL

• Upvote 7

Vic, my wife was brought up on Broadholme Street and knew Grove Road very well indeed. In fact we used to do all our snogging er I mean courting along Grove Road. Do you remember Mitson's chocolate factory.

I HAD A MATE,who lived on Grove rd in the 60s married to a mixed race girl,MICK PATMAN, anyone new him tall thin bloke worked for Farrands?

THAT WILL BE HIM,bilbraborn,another old mate said he thought he had passed away,he was a memorable character ,God bless him.

how old were you then vic what year my husband lived near the priory church in old lenton he is 66 next month and went to dunkirk juniors and then on to cotesmore boys scool used to walk up grove rd ever day to call for his mate pat clark we lived on grove rdand stilled there in the 1980 in the later years with his wife.

as clifton sez part of grove rd is still there right side going down from the grove pub but the left side including the chip shop and bereoff came down in the 80s and was replaced by flats. it certainly looks different now on that side of the rd.

• Upvote 1

my friend mary duke lived on there two two daughters dawn and vanora in there late 30s early 40s now

Some interest in my original post. Our family name Preston and the occupier of 34 Grove Road was Bradley (mothers maiden name). That house as of last month is now empty and for sale. Someone referred to the proliferation of student accommodation....on our trip to the UK last month I did notice that many of the old Victorian terraces had conversions done to accommodate students. I also noticed the high rise flats are being demolished. I lived in Abbey Court for a while after getting married.

My cousins living there were Pauline and Peter. Peter was a bit of a teddy boy with drainpipes and long matching jacket, bit of a lad by all accounts. The area was quite rough back then, judging by the intimidation I received having spent two years in Malta. My streetwise skills were not very developed and I found the treatment of the girls in the playground a bit off.

Back then there was a shop opposite where I bought my first train spotting book, with all the numbers of the steam engines listed.. The other kids in the street, marked off all the mumbers of the trains as they passed over the bridge not 50 yards away. I did this for awhile, but found it pretty pointless..

Grove Road also had a fantastic fish & chip shop about half way down, plus ther was a a factory toward the Castle Boulevard end called Elastic Yarns, I found out later that my mother in law worked there for awhile.. More to this saga later.....

I just re- read my original post and what I meant to say regarding the marriage ...was my fathers sister married my mothers brother.. That' OK isn't it.?

Just making sure you are all paying attention....

• Upvote 2

Thanks for clearing that up Vic, there are some nit picky bu663rs on here. What me !!!!!!!!

Seriously , good to have you on board, and have some tales to tell.