Radford Bridge Road pre 1930

The group of terraced houses at the top right of the photo was known as Radford Woodhouse the street at the very top was Gate Street.

Gate street was where my Maternal Grandparents were born(next door to each othere & only days apart) in 1887'

Please note the railway line running across the top this is the Trowell branch,

Note the allotments on the right one of my great uncles had one of those in the 1930/40/50s

I must assume now that the house immediately at the back of The Crown is No2 Radford Bridge Road. My Father was born there. He was always adamant that the house was demolished to build the Crown but I can't quite see that myself, certainly looking at that picture and the ones Poohbear posted earlier in the thread.

Thanks. So my Dad must have been correct when he said it was demolished. No 2 must have been right on the corner. He did say though that it was immediately opposite the lock and that is right at the end of Radford Bridge Road as can be seen in the pic at #30

• 3 weeks later...

The mention of Vane St. takes me back to Christmas Eve 1945, a crowd of us teenagers used the Youth Club beneath the Methodist Church at the bottom of Sneinton Boulevard. Kathleen Rick lived on Vane St. and invited us to her party, breaking up around 10.30 pm saw us loading the girls onto our cycle cross bars ( no buses after 9 pm was still in force!) pedalling around the boulevards we passed 2 policemen outside Redmayne & Todds we shouted "Merry Christmas" and they shouted "same to you mad buggers" and we carried on. The girl on my cross bar was named Betty Wakefield but Kath & Tony Burt were the only two to make it to the altar. Sweet memories!

• Upvote 1