Radford Bridge Road pre 1930

Before my time that was!

My father was born July 1928 at No 2 Radford Bridge Road, Old Radford. The house was demolished by 1930 to make way for Raleigh Island and more so, the Crown Inn. The Crown was built where No 2 Radford Bridge Road stood. I wonder if anyone has a picture of the house, obviously before 1930, or even of the area. I would like to know what the house looked like. There are plenty of pictures on Picture the Pas,t of the Crown and that area being built but non earlier. I assume that the house belonged to the L.N.E.R as my Grandfather was Master Carpenter on the Nottingham Canal (which was owned by the L.N.E.R) and the house came with the job. Prior to it being demolished they were moved to Tilbury Rise.

• Upvote 1

Radford Bridge Road is/was that not Radford Woodhouse?

Both my Maternal Grand parents were born on Gate Street in 1887 (Radford Woodhouse) which is was(demolished about 1974 )of Radford Bridge Road.

The corner site of the Crown is shown as uninhabited on this 1920s map...there are however a few cottages at the rear that were still there in '33 when the pub was built.

Could No.2 have been one of these?

11uxg61.jpg

2a5ycns.jpg

My uncle used to live on Radford Bridge Road in the 1950s. I can remember the canal and playing on the park near the railway line.

Radford Bridge Road is/was that not Radford Woodhouse?

Both my Maternal Grand parents were born on Gate Street in 1887 (Radford Woodhouse) which is was(demolished about 1974 )of Radford Bridge Road.

You've got me there! I don't know where one bit of Radford starts and the other finishes. I know very well where Radford Bridge Road is but as for which bit of Radford it is I am just going on a Commonwealth War Graves certificate which claims No 2 Radford Bridge Road to be Old Radford

The corner site of the Crown is shown as uninhabited on this 1920s map...there are however a few cottages at the rear that were still there in '33 when the pub was built.

Could No.2 have been one of these?

11uxg61.jpg

2a5ycns.jpg

Thanks for the picture and map. As my father was only around 2 years old or perhaps a bit older even when he left, if they were still there in '33 his memories in later years might have been off. Thinking about it he used describe the house to me as looking like a typical dolls house with a window in each corner. Perhaps that is the whitish one in the centre of the picture

• Upvote 1

For the benefit of BulwellBrian and anyone else interested, here's a wider map showing that mineral railway which went from the canal to Newcastle and Babbington Collieries. (Crown island & pub is approximately the red blob)

mineral1.jpg

My dad used to talk about that railway. Him and his brothers used to walk along it to find spilled coal. They used to call it the Puffing Billy. I walked along it from Strelley Tip to Newcastle Wharf in the 1960s but there is very little left to see now except the path that runs along the north of Aspley Estate,

As for Radford Bridge Road, my dad once had the opportunity to take over the hardware shop on the corner of Gate Street, or was it Vane Street. But my mum didn't want him to take the risk.

My wifes grandparents had a chip shop on Radford Bridge road, I am not sure when but it was probably in the late 30s early 40s, I will ask the question over the weekend.

My wifes mother also worked in the Crown pub in the 40s, it was owned by her uncle, she used to walk from Bulwell and walk back on her own after closing time.

• Upvote 1

I spoke to the mother in law today, the chip shop was just after Chalbury road on the left side. She remembers the house mentioned but said that it was still there when the Crown was opened, she remembers going to the Crown when it opened, she will be 90 this year, and thinks she was about 14 then. I am not sure when the Crown opened.

My dad used to talk about that railway. Him and his brothers used to walk along it to find spilled coal. They used to call it the Puffing Billy.  I walked along it from Strelley Tip to Newcastle Wharf in the 1960s but there is very little left to see now except the path that runs along the north of Aspley Estate,

As for Radford Bridge Road, my dad once had the opportunity to take over the hardware shop on the corner of Gate Street, or was it Vane Street. But my mum didn't want him to take the risk.

Out of curiosity, where is Vane Street? Came up in a census when I was doing a family history search but couldn't place it.

Out of curiosity, where is Vane Street? Came up in a census when I was doing a family history search but couldn't place it.

Look at the map post 10 on this thread

Go to the top of the map there are three streets in Radford Woodhouse Vane Street was the centre street.

Gate Street the top street was where both my maternal grand parents were born next door to each other in 1887.

• Upvote 1

Is that picture of the crown opposite the white horse on Ilkeston road, now student flats ?

Yes Chrissy it is. It's just about possible to read the caption saying that place in the photo was closed down and the licence transferred to the "new" Crown on the island. The road disappearing off to the left is Faraday Road, and the road off to the right is the end of St Peter's Street.

This is the scene today http://goo.gl/maps/czQTX

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...