Trevorthegasman. OMG!... "Manny Axelrod" !...

Now there`s a name I haven`t heard for well over 50yrs. lol

My first wife used to work for that firm, but when she was there, they were in dire money trouble and workers were lucky if they got paid their wages on the Friday.

When she worked for them they had been bankrupted I believe and set up business again at the old Turney Leatherworks Factory near Trent Bridge under the new name of Dorlexa (Axelrod backwards).

Would have been around about 1960 when she was working there and we were not yet married at the time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having been away from this site for quite a while,i have returned to add to this thread. I worked for the gas board on Woodboro Rd from 1959 and of course carried the tools all over Nottm and so remem

The Potted Meat served by the 1/4lb or more from the Enamel dish with the butter or fat on top maybe a Nottingham thing, My Husband says he never saw that in the West Mids and only saw it when he came

Having been away from this site for quite a while,i have returned to add to this thread. I worked for the gas board on Woodboro Rd from 1959 and of course carried the tools all over Nottm and so remember with fondness many of the cafes,the routine was depot 7.45am to 8.30am and then off to the cafe for breakfast till 9.30am and hope the reps don't come around and catch us.This went on for many years but slowly died when 'Bonus" came in because then you could earn upto an extra 60% of your wages by doing around 13hrs work in 8hrs not to be sneezed at.

A few years back, an old friend of mine had just been promoted to Field Engineering manager at BT. This was when all BT vans were yellow. Being a keen sort, he was angered to see a lot of yellow vans parked-up outside a cafe in Radford so went in and tore a strip off the blokes enjoying their morning cuppa, telling them they should be out working not lazing around.

On his way back to his car, and having vented his anger at those poor blokes, he noticed that all the vans had "British Gas" on the side.

:)

• Upvote 1

Ay up budgie rustler,love the handle,does it mean what it used to in the 60s?LOL.

A few years back, an old friend of mine had just been promoted to Field Engineering manager at BT. This was when all BT vans were yellow. Being a keen sort, he was angered to see a lot of yellow vans parked-up outside a cafe in Radford so went in and tore a strip off the blokes enjoying their morning cuppa, telling them they should be out working not lazing around.

On his way back to his car, and having vented his anger at those poor blokes, he noticed that all the vans had "British Gas" on the side.

:)Think that cafe was "Millies" and you could order a "Gas Board Breakfast" very popular....

#22 -Trevor I remember the little bakers too. I was at Nott'm Regional College of Technology in the late '60s on day release from work. At lunchtime I used to walk up to the shop, get two potted meat cobs, and then go to visit my Grandma who lived in Ridding Terrace off Wellington St, which was (& still is) the next road down from Woodborough Rd. She used to have a bottle of "brown" sauce ready & waiting and the kettle on in the scullery. I sometimes still indulge in a potted meat cob and it takes me straight back to those days - that's probably why I do it I suppose.

Mind you, I haven't seen it served from a proper enamel dish with a layer of fat/butter on top for a long while.

• Upvote 1

The Potted Meat served by the 1/4lb or more from the Enamel dish with the butter or fat on top maybe a Nottingham thing, My Husband says he never saw that in the West Mids and only saw it when he came to Notts. I certainly haven't seen any here. We always used to enjoy the Potted Meat Cobs and still do! But only the Sutherland or Princes in jars. There is no comparison but its all we can get. We have to use our imagination! (Not forgetting the packet of crisps). Don't forget the Pork Dripping with jelly, Thick on a crust. Cor...blow the posh nosh, Give me one of them any day. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I too would like to know where all the potted meat and pork dripping has gone. What about real bacon each time I fry bacon

water comes out of it and there is no taste to it and did not chips taste much better cooked in real fat. I think health

wise we have gone crazy. A little of what you fancy doe's you good.

Barkers potted meat and Binghams salmon paste , they used to be delivered to shops daily,Binghams were a sheffield firm and i think Barkers were notts

• Upvote 1

Our butcher sells proper potted dog, has a slab of it and cuts off as much as you want, and he has wax packets of dripping. Don't know if its beef or pork though, as I have never bought any. Love the potted dog though!

DaveN,that's the one, Don't know what made me think of Bose although B&O are also a high end name

Rog

batesy we used to get our home made faggots from hickingbottoms near bourns factory in netherfield tues and fridays i used to take my bowls into the shop on my way to school and the half crown to pay for them and pick them up after school there would be a quewe right upto cornerhouse cafe i used to walk past every one straight in the shop aand get served straight away how the people in the quewe used to moan. sometimes we had to wait a little while for them to come out the back great big pans full straight into a copper gas fired to keep them hotone large two pint oval enamel dis half pint dish in mums basketi used to eat some of the small one with my little finger on the way home . tuesday we had them with homemade chips friday just dread and butter as a snack until our main meal steamed fish with mash potaos and peaswe had main meal late on a friday when every one was in not 2 sittings. as we did most other weekdays mum dad and us two youngest first pluss robert who my mum looked after . older ones all had there about 5.30 when they came in from work saturdays mum did not cook a big meal run round table and see what you get day sunday day used to cook a big breackfast for us all for 10.30am used to bring us a cup of tea up between 9.30 and 10.00am but you had to be up for breakfast by 10.30 if you wernt already up us younger ones usually were. he did that right up untill i got marriedthen sunday lunch was 3.00pm after dad got back from the club we all sat round the big table together for that.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

DaveN,that's the one, Don't know what made me think of Bose although B&O are also a high end name

Rog

My old boss at the original Miller Bros used to call them Bang & Clatter!

The Robin Hood chip shop on Arkwright Street was my favourite. Such a shame it had to go.

I have tried to get Potted Meat in Scotland but to no avail. Looks like I shall have to make the 1100miles round trip to Notts in order to fill my fridge.

There were so many 2nd hand/pawn shops on both Arkwright St and St Anne's Well road. I used to spen many happy hours rummaging through teh stuff looking for a bargain. Now all gone....only "Charity" shops all over the place selling stuff at inflated prices.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter Anson also had Quad, which was about the best you could buy, far better than Bang and Olufson and way better than Nose. I still have a fully functioning Quad amp which takes as much time as the Space Shuttle to prepare for launch but the sound is superb. The mrs thinks its an ugly green brick.

• Like 1