use to go pass anson on my way to peveril school in the 70s boy could only dream of owning a bang and olsen nice gear,speaking of potted dog anybody got a proper nottingham recipe,living in auckland we get fxxxk all like that here and used to love my chrispy cob with potted dog,bought up down the green so we had fxxk all big family so potted dog and faggots where a sta[le part of living.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having been away from this site for quite a while,i have returned to add to this thread. I worked for the gas board on Woodboro Rd from 1959 and of course carried the tools all over Nottm and so remem

The Potted Meat served by the 1/4lb or more from the Enamel dish with the butter or fat on top maybe a Nottingham thing, My Husband says he never saw that in the West Mids and only saw it when he came

B & O equipment was a big con, at least in those days it was - all style and no substance.

They claimed to be "high end" equipment (note NOT hi-fi) and charged huge amounts of money for stuff with a technical specification of about the same level as a Dansette record player. For example, their flagship amplifier at one time "boasted" a THD (total harmonic distortion) of 5% when hi-fi was commonly measured at 0.1 - 0.2%.

It looked nice though.

• Like 2

I have to agree with this, a mate of mine swore by B & O stuff & wouldn't have it that the stuff was no better than Amstrad !

Where's DJ360 ? He knows a bit about hifi.

I think a lot is down to marketing & nothing more. Scania wagons for example are the most expensive in the UK but I believe there are much better & more reliable wagons about.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2014 at 2:47 PM, Compo said:

There were so many 2nd hand/pawn shops on both Arkwright St and St Anne's Well road. I used to spen many happy hours rummaging through teh stuff looking for a bargain. Now all gone....only "Charity" shops all over the place selling stuff at inflated prices.

Bongo! I found a real second-hand shop in Edinburgh over the bank holiday weekend.  Spent ages rummaging through his stock and came away with a proper battered old teddy bear (they are not allowed to sell such stuff in bloody charity shops) - brilliant!

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Compo said:

Bongo! I found a real second-hand shop in Edinburgh over the bank holiday weekend.....

Had a week in the Languedoc a few weeks ago and happened on this shop near the Cathedral in Beziers . Woulld have loved to have had a look round but doesn't look as though its been opened for ages . Don't know if you can zoom in but theres some interesting post cards in the doorway .

42226502602_a25568fc51_b.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

Just a thought Compo, will you be posting a photo of the bear?

Here you go Shirley.....After a good wash and brush-up he is looking rather fine, don't you think?  The poor lad's a wee bit thread-bare bit otherwise he is now a happy chappie :)

41373177895_dac6dc67ca_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Anyroad Oz might recall Devo's.

Sure do Ian, Mansfield Shoe Company founded in 1867 and the Devonshire brand was introduced in 1907. As an apprentice passed this magnificent building every day on the bus on my way to work.

Alas, along with the hosiery and knitware industry, long gone.

A friend told me that the Pretty Polly site on Unwin Rd in Sutton in Ashfield is destined to become a supermarket

Image result for mansfield shoe co

• Like 1

Shoe shops that made sure your feet fitted prtoperly into your shoes, using one of these contraptions:

NdceSg5BN63P6JhF-iymRU6clmZqSYpL8oANLaxX

• Like 1