Some of my dad's photos

Been busy over the last few days digitising some of my dad's slides from the 1960s. While most of them were family pics, he did take a few of Nottingham and some villages.

A couple of them stand out - one of Drury Hill and one of Garners Hill, with the railway viaduct in the background.

There are also some he took during the Margidunum dig in 1968, and a couple of Gedling Colliery taken in the early 1980s, just before it closed.

See what you think...

• Upvote 11

Thanks, Lizzie. Your usual drinking pals missed you tonight!

As for the scanner, I got it from Lidl last week. It only cost about £30. They may still have one or two left. Very easy to use, just load the supplied software, plug into USB, and scan away!

• Upvote 2

Terrific to see these thanks very much.

I tried a scanner on some negs but couldnt be bothered in the end. I guess its because my pics were not as good as these.

Thanks, Siddha.

My dad was a semi-professional photographer, mainly covering cycle racing, but he also used to do weddings, baby photos, and was an occasional contributor to the Guardian Journal and Evening Post.

All of which meant he needed the best equipment available, which consisted of Leica cameras with various lenses. These days, the equivalent kit would be around £5000. So a bit more than a hobby for him!

• Upvote 2

Great Photos Rob.

I saw those Neg Scanners in our local ALDI only the other day.

I do already have a scanner somewhere.

Although a Professional photographer need professional equipment, it is not a prerequisite for great photographs.

The quality of these images is the skill of seeing a picture, not the equipment used.

I used to know a girl who took photographs using a cardboard box pinhole camera with a sheet of photographic paper taped to the inside back.

And Siddha, images you consider not up to the quality of Rob's dads should not be ignored, as a crap image is better than no image at all.

Some lovely nostalgic pictures there.

A free photo editor is available via google, try picasa. It's easy to use and has a wide range of options not available in some expensive software on the market.

Smiffy

Wasn't the "blue tint" a reflection of Ilford film as it aged?

I have two film scanners, the first was bought to try and get into the business of digital photo repair, alas not enough business where I live, but did a first rate job of scanning both photos and negatives, an Epson 3200...Was one of the top scanners when I bought it around ten years back.

The other is a negative scanner, el cheapo and shows it in the quality of the photos..

#12 This is Kodachrome, not Ilford, but hasn't been stored very well in the last ten years - the slides were left in suitcases in a damp garage.

I will get round to cleaning-up the scans as and when, but have a few thousand more slides to get through first (none of any local relevance, though).

The first photo near Trent Bridge made me smile as just about on that spot I put some of my mam and dads ashes into the Trent on a visit back from Western Australia where they died in 2005(dad) and 2007.Dad used to fish from there and as it leads to the North Sea where my dad was on MTB boats during the war and mam used to stay in Great Yarmouth to visit him so that was my planned journey for them, they were married for almost 67 years....

• Upvote 8

Bubblewrap,

They were taken from the park at the back of Digby College. Dad used to dog-sit for us, and that's where he walked the dog every day.

I thought so I used to live on Welbeck Avenue and the view was similar from the top of the street.

I took the comments about the blue cast on board, and found out that Adobe offer an excellent free Photoshop app for iPad.

So, I've been through all the pictures on Flikr and cleaned them up, as well as adding a few more.

:)

• Upvote 4