• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As others have said, the new is on the site of the old, although the new is much bigger. One major change which happened was that half the length of Barker Gate disappeared under the new building. Th

I used to go to the ice rink in the 60’s. Can remember Ralph, my friend, whose mum & dad ran a pub nearby where he used to go, worked for him for a while. I used to go on trips to other ice rinks

Before that Squash Club was built in possibly late 60s/early 70s there was an old house and a small wood on that corner.  I used to nervously walk past there up to my friend’s house in Mapperley, it w

In the 50's  lot of the cycling community used to met every week at the Ice stadium during Winter. The star speed skater at that time was Tony Bullen who represented England a few times. He used to cycle and come to races with me. I bought my skates from Archie Stinchcomb, ex panthers Canadian who had a shop on Alfreton Rd. The skates were ex Panthers CCM Prolites - the best but very worn.

I can remember the attendants had a nice little 'fiddle' going on with the hire skates. If you didn't ask for your size and give them a shilling your skates were blunt and virtually useless

2 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

In the 50's  lot of the cycling community used to met every week at the Ice stadium during Winter. 

One of the few times I went to skate (or try to skate) there was with my professional cyclist boyfriend at the time, John Aslin.  I remember there being lots of his cycling pals on the ice too, this would have been 1970.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
On 4/5/2014 at 9:41 AM, trevorthegasman said:

Started going to the ice stadium in the 50s to watch the "Panthers" Chick and the boys remember the tickets were 3/6d 4/6d 5/6d 6/6d a lot of money to me as a 12 year old,you had to buy a ticket for the following week if you wanted to make sure of getting in the next week .Who remember walking around the passage and the homemade type patties(burger) that were made under there, was the chaps name Ralph? know the managers name was Saunders because I played football with his son Geoff for St Saviours and then name change to Newbridge(the pub at the side on Arkwright St).

Hope you dont mind me giving all this detail but I believe it leads to others remembering different stories to tell.

Who remembers the ice racing between periods of skating... Jeff Stockdale......

You may be thinking of Chick Zamick for ice hockey.  The manager was my father, Roy Sanders, and a an employee that could turn his hand to most tasks in the rink was Ralf Hornsby. Geoff Sanders died in 2009.

Peter Sanders 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Peter Sanders said:

You may be thinking of Chick Zamick for ice hockey.

Now there is a blast for the past, I often used to see his name outside the Old Ice Stadium on the way down to the City Ground in the early sixties.

I know nothing about Ice Hockey... but I do recall in the early 60s when it was very cool to be seen wearing a 'Panther Jacket'

Chick Zamick, crikey thats a blast from the past,,never saw him in action but followed in the papers.....Nottingham Panthers were a top side in the 50s,,

Had enough of Hockey in general after Padstow football team played the girls Hockey team,,,they thrashed us,,,and a girl named Christine Sandham battered me black and blue,,,lol. 

I recall that......didn't know it was his..............played football opposite there against Gedling MW a couple of times.....

Chick Zamick's daughter, Susan I think, was in my year and initially my class at Arnold high, I think she arrived in year 2 , so 1963.

I know they lived in Mapperley and the Squash club was built later at the Mapperley corner of Gedling Road.

I don't know whether he originally owned / lived on that land or whether he financed the building of the Club.

I seem to remember it was described as Managed by Chick Zamick.

Chick Zamick lived on Llanberis Grove, Cinderhill, next door to my uncle. He left Nottingham in 1958 but returned a few years later. I heard them talk about a dry cleaning business and later some involvement in a squash club.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

There's a big apartment block there now and a very strange looking 'new build' on the opposite corner. Why do the planners allow such things?

Before that Squash Club was built in possibly late 60s/early 70s there was an old house and a small wood on that corner.  I used to nervously walk past there up to my friend’s house in Mapperley, it was dark and scary to me.

My Art teacher at Carlton Le Willows, Miss Muriel Kent, lived in a bungalow where that odd, flat-roofed new build stands now. She had two large dogs, Great Danes I seem to remember.  Lovely lady, must have liked me as I was always top in Art!  She moved to Worthing many years ago but drove up for school reunions every 2 or 3 years, well into her 80s.  She passed away a couple of years ago.  

• Like 2

@LizzieM  Miss Kent was my Art teacher, too.  I ‘m quite good at drawing and painting but she once said one of my efforts was crude!

• Upvote 1

I remember the old house and the wood. The railway tunnel ran directly beneath and I’ve been in there. You can still see a vent on the opposite side of the road. Spinrock builders built a house next to the corner one but I don’t know whether that was absorbed into the apartment development. Didn’t Freddie Mercury’s mother live a bit further down on that side of the road?  I do remember Chick Wheelhouse’s filling station and car lot a bit further down. I used to fill up there on my way home and look at his interesting motors.