Hello everyone!

I have a quick question which I have been dieing to get answers for, for ages.

I am 21 and now live in Long Eaton, during my childhood I lived in Sawley, I seem to recall there used to be a really low pitched loud siren noise that went off that could be heard from pretty much any house in Sawley. This was around the late 90's to early 2000's, can anyone remember this? and if so, remember what it was?

I remember a friends Dad saying it may have been the servern trent water factory in the area but I cannot seem to fine any information on it.

It was like a low pitched drawn-out constant hum that went off for around 5 minutes.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Regards,

Jack.

Hi, thanks for the response Mick.

That may possibly be the case. I lived on a road called 'Pym Leys' and it was very audiable from there, I'm wondering if it may possibly be related to the Severn Trent factory nearby - if they used to let off the siren during a chlorine spilage or something like that?

I'm gunna ask some of my friends at the time tomorrow to see if they recall anything.

Really interested in getting to the bottom of this :)

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but back in the 50s, 60s and I think 70s, British Railways Trent sheet and sack depot (the Sheet Stores) used to sound a WW2 type air-raid siren to mark the beginning and end of shifts. There was a short blast at 7.25 every morning, which I think was intended as a 5 minute warning to those not yet clocked in to get a move on, and then a longer blast at 7.30. It could certainly be heard all over Long Eaton.

Hi guys, thanks for replies, still not figured out what it could be.

Cliff Ton - I had a quick look through that thread but none of the posts seemed to date around the time when I lived there. Aha, I've just spoke to my Mum about it, she remembers the siren and says she thinks it was something to do with the 'Water Board' < No idea what this means so didn't bother asking her to elaborate.

Tempted to send an email to Severn Trent in Sawley, might have a look to see if they have an enquiries email address.

Thanks for your post Bilboro-lad!

We might be getting somewhere, I know Sawley Marina is quite a fair bit away from where I lived in Sawley (Pevril Crescent area near the old pub that has now been excavated to make way for more houses) so it must've been loud if it's the one. Was it loud to the extent of it being heard a mile or 2 away?

Might have to drive down tonight to see if I can see anything, when you say it was opposite the entrance, isn't that the plank and leggit pub?

I texted my daughter and she thinks it comes from the Derby Boat Club. There is a large building which she thinks is for boat maintenance and the siren is a legal requirement to warn workers when a boat is lifted clear of the water.

This might be a long shot, but in the past, when trackmen have been doing track repairs on the railway, the signalman would contact them by activating a siren sound from a device located on top of electrical relay boxes.

Mobiles are used extensively now. I left in 2004 but as a supervisor I used a mobile with the works mobile numbers of all the drivers at Derby 4 shed. We also used one to contact control or the PSB when working in the sidings away from the office.