Denman Street

Whilst on holiday last week, met a lady called Kim, who's family apparently owned a few shops on Denman Street in the 60's/70's/80's. The family name was King, anyone remember them? & what shops they had...................

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have absolutely no idea Mike lol! On another note, I found this video, thought it might be enjoyed by you fine folks here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQNxRIPbgM

Denman Street featured a lot in my childhood. My mum was a Radford girl and Denman Street shops were her Mecca. As kids, my brother and I were given the choice. Either walk to the shops and bus back a

PTP has quite a lot of Denman Street photos. I remember it from the early 60s because my grandma often mentioned it, so it was obviously her main shopping area (along with Hartley Road which she also

Whilst on holiday last week, met a lady called Kim, who's family apparently owned a few shops on Denman Street in the 60's/70's/80's. The family name was King, anyone remember them? & what shops they had...................

Radford Denman Street?

Denman Street featured a lot in my childhood. My mum was a Radford girl and Denman Street shops were her Mecca. As kids, my brother and I were given the choice. Either walk to the shops and bus back and have sweets, or bus both ways and no sweets. The walk from Bilborough was down Wigman Road, Hollington Road, Beechdale Road, cross over Western Boulevard, down Northdown Road, through the twitchel and over the railway bridge onto New Road and by the coal yard of Radford Pit to the sharp bend which formed the end-on junction of Hartley Road and St. Peter's Street. Then it was up Hartley Road and right along Radford Boulevard to Denman Street, my mum's favourite shopping mile.

I remember Marsdens and the Maypole Dairy on the Boulevard near Denman Street. There was a huge choice of Butcher's and fruit shops on Denman Street. I was too young to be interested but if my mum was still alive she would remember all the names of the shops. Occasionally we would pop into my grand ma's house on Salisbury Street, or if it was raining, my mum would leave us kids there while she was shopping.

Talking of rain, if we had heavy rain for a while, we would wear wellies to wade through the flood water where the River Leen passed under New Road.

I well remember the Shipstone's horse and dray's parked outside the numerous pubs in that area. They were happy days but we probably didn't realise it at the time.

• Upvote 3

PTP has quite a lot of Denman Street photos. I remember it from the early 60s because my grandma often mentioned it, so it was obviously her main shopping area (along with Hartley Road which she also referred to).

Looking at the photos now, it almost looks as though there were more shops than houses, difficult to believe there were enough customers to go round. The kind of place like Arkwright Street and Alfred Street which no longer exist.

denman2.jpg

denman1.jpg

denn.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mick, I think the correct location is Denman Central and Garfield Road. Google will give you a street view.

The old shop shown in the PTP (2nd photo and on the corner near where Melissa lives) is just across the road from the hydroponic supplies shop

The shops that remain look so lifeless compared to the old days...probably because they daren't display anything or the nearest drug addict would brick the window.

And what's with the yellow lines everywhere...why? Not exactly buzzing with traffic is it?

2dqm6hu.jpg

That street is a perfect example of the devastation of the small shopkeeper brought about by the supermarkets...if it still existed Arkwright street would look just the same...shops converted to living accommodation....thousands of 'em! All those small business people now shelf stacking at Tescos.

317758z.jpg

There are very little shops there now Poohbear. I walk past there almost daily and it's very lifeless, looking at the pictures from PTP makes me very envious to have lived during that time! I think the yellow lines though are for parents when picking up kids from school, there's two primary schools close by and it would be too tight to get down if they all parked there!

Before and After makes interesting viewing (with the closest I can get from Streetview). The Off Licence building is still recognisable by its decorative brickwork above the entrance. Otherwise, I know which version I prefer.

denman222-19-32.jpg

• Upvote 1

Brilliantly done, modern photographs taken from the exact position and lens angle.

Then skilfully photoshopped to combine the past with the present.

• Upvote 1

Tenants were in Burton-on-Trent I think. Not to be confused with Tennents Brewery in Scotland. Most of the pubs round there were Shippos anyway. (Hic).