Denman Street

Vic King used to have a butchers shop on Denman Street. He was friends with my dad and the three of us used to go to the Victoria Baths for the wrestling.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have absolutely no idea Mike lol! On another note, I found this video, thought it might be enjoyed by you fine folks here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQNxRIPbgM

Denman Street featured a lot in my childhood. My mum was a Radford girl and Denman Street shops were her Mecca. As kids, my brother and I were given the choice. Either walk to the shops and bus back a

PTP has quite a lot of Denman Street photos. I remember it from the early 60s because my grandma often mentioned it, so it was obviously her main shopping area (along with Hartley Road which she also

was sat in the car on denman st this afternoon outside hydroponics shop while dave went to jerrys for his fishing bait for his first fishing this year on tuesday normally he whould go on the monday but as its bank holiday they will be closed so he had to go to pick it up today so maggotts down in his fridge in the cellar. hope weathers nice for them and me i got to go down to drs on my schooter then if its nice i think i will go into town for an hour or two

my grama and her family lived in lea st not far from denman st in 1901 so would have done all thier shopping in those shops and daves dad lived with his father at 72 radford bulivard in the 192os so they would have used all them shops.

mellisa is that little cloths shop on denman st ever open now not seen it open in ages but still has cloths displayed in the window but they do look a bit retro

opposit the hydroponics shop mellissa still cloths in the window but looks very datedshop front looks a bit unkept too.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

The second picture in your post is literally on the corner of where I currently live. Brilliant!

That's the corner of Denman street and Garfield Road, the shop on the corner was Hardings beer off, then looking down Denman street there was a suppermarket, Fords, Florrie Breisford paper shop and Gordon Eddows the butcher.

I was brought up in that area No 1Plimsol terrace, and from the age of 6 I lived at 27 Garfield Road, happy days and a lovely photograph.

• Upvote 1

Jimmylad, did you Know the Ramsdens, in particular Ken, who I was at school with (Becket)? They lived on Garfield road, not sure of the number

Had a look at the area on Britain from Above and there's one photo which shows Garfield Road in the 1920s.

garfield.jpg

The building I've marked with the red arrow is the one on the corner of these photos.

denman222-19-32.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , Melissa? , if you live on Garfield rd and are interested in Old Radford history ..... Are you aware of the first world war memorial that once stood above an entry on Garfield rd ... It was raised by the members of the families and Garfield rd community who,s sons fathers brothers and lovers who were killed in that war .....

Although it is still around . It no longer resides on Garfield rd . It it inserted into the wall of the church of St. Peter's on St. Peter's st ... On a back wall far way from the eyes of the general public , very sad .. I've cleaned it twice in the last 10 years of moss mad marks .and cleared bottles plastic bags and cans away from it ..

I,m thinking of starting a project to get it moved into the church for safe keeping ...... Especially as it's the centenary of the war this year ... Regards Brian

Hey Brian. I know there is a memorial in the churchyard on St Peters Street but I had no idea it was initially above an entry on Garfield Road... do you have any idea where abouts it would have been?

The project sounds like a good idea. Let me know if I can be of any help :)

• 4 years later...

My 2x Great Grandparents & my Great Grandma lived at 356 Denman Street... and I only just realized that my Great Grandfathers brother (on the other side of the family) lived in the Manchester Cottages on/off Denman Street.

Does anyone know where the Manchester cottages would have been?  This info is from the 1911 Census... plus newspaper articles when one family member or the other was in trouble with the police. 

The census results go up to #20 Manchester Cottages, then onto #49 Denman Street.

16 hours ago, Mark Savage said:

Does anyone know where the Manchester cottages would have been?  The census results go up to #20 Manchester Cottages, then onto #49 Denman Street.

Manchester Cottages don't seem to be marked on any map, however detailed, and this might be the best you'll see.

Denman Street is the one going across the centre of the map, with house numbers . Baldwin Street and Highurst Street are still there (albeit very different). 49 Denman Street will be at the junction with Baldwin Street

MeJxIe6.jpg

Most references say "Manchester Cottages , Denman Street" but I have seen one that says "Manchester Cottages  , Palin Street" ,if that helps ?

• 4 months later...

Hi I lived on Denman Street and wondered who else remembered some of the old shops. I recall a big shop called Clays and below that I think there was a newsagents run by a Mrs Walker, then Sheppards fish & chip shop. There was also an electrical shop, I think on the corner of ? Trafalgar St though not at all sure about that. Another chippy called Cockaynes and a sweet shop. My Dad used to go in the Sir Garnett Wolsey & the landlord was Lance somebody, and there were stables there where the pantomime ponies from the Theatre Royal used to stay

Welcome to Nottstalgia JayGee. I've added your post to an existing thread about Denman Street where you'll probably find information and photos of the area.

There are also a number of other old threads about Radford, which might include Denman Street.   

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/search/?q=radford&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles