As a brand new member this is my first post,and I would like to say a warm hello to all the present members at nostalgia.com,I am nottingham born and bred,born at the city hospital in 1947.raised in carlton till I was 15,moved to sneinton,had a couple of years in st Annes,before settling in Clifton for the next 20 years or so,had 15 years in longeaton,finally moving away down to Kent where I still live.I retired in January this year,so my first retirement project is to 're visit my roots which will be quite a nostalgic journey,but will hopefully 're kindle the memories that have helped make me who I am. So from the cavo cow sheds,to longeaton west park I will be revisiting these shrines in my life,and all places in between, can't wait.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a brand new member this is my first post,and I would like to say a warm hello to all the present members at nostalgia.com,I am nottingham born and bred,born at the city hospital in 1947.raised in c

if you comming to nottingham for a few days visit let us know when wecan arrange a meetup in town while your here we do like to meet and put a face to members old and new

and to me batesy its nice to meet the members in person maybe you can both come to nottingham when we have nottstalgias 10th birthday bash and lets see howmany members old and new we can get togethe

Hello Batesy,

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Enjoy yourself on the Forum and good luck with your Nostalgic journey back to your roots.

Sounds like a cue for a song carni,going back to my roots....thanks for the welcome.

I suspect I'm not the only person who's wondering "What is or was cavo cow sheds"?

Well cliff ton cavo cow sheds was the affectionate name given to my old secondary school at carlton,Cavendish secondary modern. School.because I think at one time most of the school was wooden sheds,believe it's called Frank wheldon school now,much posher,but the name alone clubhouse lots of memories

My eldest brother and sister both went to Cavo, but a bit before your time. My other brother and sister went up-market a bit, to Gedling, around the same time you were at school, before I reached the dizzy heights of Carlton le Willows.

:)

My eldest brother and sister both went to Cavo, but a bit before your time. My other brother and sister went up-market a bit, to Gedling, around the same time you were at school, before I reached the dizzy heights of Carlton le Willows.

:)

Did you or any of your family go to st Paul's junior school then Rob l

hi batsey any relation to the netherfield bates kenny and georgie knew them quite well and my older sister jean still sees themsometimes at darts matches blacks head but she can never remember who is who although one was in her clas and one was in my sister kaths class. welcome to the site anyway

babs

hi batsey any relation to the netherfield bates kenny and georgie knew them quite well and my older sister jean still sees themsometimes at darts matches blacks head but she can never remember who is who although one was in her clas and one was in my sister kaths class. welcome to the site anyway

babs

Hi babs,don't think we're related to the people u know,we lived at the top of conno...conningswath road,mum and dad divorced,dad went to live in Burton Joyce with his second wife,he was a foreman fitter at a place called luxfors in the industrial estate in colwick,after a serious accident there he became school caretaker at the school in Burton joyce,he retired and went to live just off station road where the old barber's shop used to be many moons ago

hi batesy i used to live on cavendish rd from 1953 tilli got married in 1972 near the post office and news agents but carried on going to station rd girls school remember luxfers well so i know that area very well regal cinema used to be next to the barbers shop and buntys shop was on the other side of the cinema.our scoolwas opposit the fire station.

hi batesy i used to live on cavendish rd from 1953 tilli got married in 1972 near the post office and news agents but carried on going to station rd girls school remember luxfers well so i know that area very well regal cinema used to be next to the barbers shop and buntys shop was on the other side of the cinema.our scoolwas opposit the fire station.

Regal cinema,I'd forgot about that,just shows u how wonderfull it is when you give the old brain cells a prod,before we moved up to conno,we lived in the house at the bottom of carlton hill and that steep cut through hill was it called blue bell hill ?they turned the house into a clock repair shop I think

i think ifyou mean carlton square its green hill rise gose up towards colwick woods and bakersfield

i think ifyou mean carlton square its green hill rise gose up towards colwick woods and bakersfield

Your spot on,green hill rise.what was the other road that ran over to Bakersfield and sneinton with the pub on the corner,was it southdale or something?,and I think the old hard ware shop called hanhams or something was somewhere opposite the pub on the other side of carlton hill

southdale drive ran from near st pauls church to sneinton dale porchester rd batesy . carnt remember if it was harrimans or hanamans hardwear near the windsor castle pub but im sure sombody on here will remember

• Upvote 1

I'm slightly older than u two piggy and babs I think,but u certainly have good memories for people's names and places in the area,since I joined nottstalgia every time I think of a name from the past,I write it down straight away,maybe u may recall some of the surnames........willerton,Witt,etches,white,Wright,Morris,shepherd,Maxfield,Ingham,Bird,porter,Sharp,Kirk,sherratt,bullimore,Perkins,cupit, belshaw,plus lots more,ring any bells ?