hi batesy i used to live on cavendish rd from 1953 tilli got married in 1972 near the post office and news agents but carried on going to station rd girls school remember luxfers well so i know that area very well regal cinema used to be next to the barbers shop and buntys shop was on the other side of the cinema.our scoolwas opposit the fire station.

sorry should have said 1963 to 1972.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a brand new member this is my first post,and I would like to say a warm hello to all the present members at nostalgia.com,I am nottingham born and bred,born at the city hospital in 1947.raised in c

if you comming to nottingham for a few days visit let us know when wecan arrange a meetup in town while your here we do like to meet and put a face to members old and new

and to me batesy its nice to meet the members in person maybe you can both come to nottingham when we have nottstalgias 10th birthday bash and lets see howmany members old and new we can get togethe

some of those names are very familiar to me, we had a mr and mrs etches live opposit us on cavendish rd had three chilldren a daughter gill a bit older than me perhaps your age two sons daryl and stephen who were a bit younger than me stephen was killed in a car accident when he was about 18

.sheperds lived on coningsworth just befor the alps opposit the school.

birds lived top of cavo all the lads known as dickie dont think any of them were called richard.

knew a couple of bullimores peter and stephen i think

kirks came from bottom end of cavo or the ones i knew did mrs ivy kirk was still wrighting letters in the evening post well into her 90s.

there were a family of cupits in netherfield might be the same family . sherrats also familiar to me.

The etches lived on the corner of alps and conno,went to school with eldest boy Johnny etches,the shepherds on conno,were a large family,I knew a John,and his sister pat,the birds I knew,one on cavvo Colin Bird,his dad was a councillor,and Derek Bird,his cousin,lived on marwood,the kirks lived directly behind us on Portland ?,think I knew their daughter Anne,the cupits Steve and his older brother ? Amazing how names come back to you over time

i also know john married my mate zena she sadly passed away last year shortly after there daughter knew pat too but not very well

• Upvote 1

My wife went to Cavo and her two brothers, she knows several of the surnames you mentioned there Batesy. She is only 64 now but her elder brother is 67 so he would have been there when you were, his name is Colin Harrison.

My wife's friends were the Ingams (Jeff and Cathy) and the Sharps (Bella and Kathleen) and also the Weldons (Val,Kevin and Michael) but they may be younger.

I remember one of Colin's mates was Johnny Bird. Another was Dave Ford.

• Upvote 1

Hello banjo48,I used to play football with your wife's brother Colin I think,he used to mate around with a Lad who surname was philbin ,can't remember his first name,did your wife live over valley road way somewhere,?.if so she might remember Colin Johnson,Richard Hammond,Tony creasey ,Polly Perkins,? Girls at cavo included Brenda Harvey,barbera walker,Susan widowson,Janet winter,Carol porter,Pamela sharp,and lots more,I lived next door to the Inghams on conno,with my mum and two brothers,Malc and Chris Bates.

Batesy

Yep over the Valley road on crime crescent :-)

Dave Philbin was Col's mate. Wife is a bit younger so cannot remember those names but time plays tricks with our memories !

• Upvote 1

some others you may or maynot know about your age les porter vic wooley mick healy joe shaw think they al when to cavo

Thanks for that banjo48,did Colin stay around carlton,or did he go to pastures New,I lived all round nottingham at different times,but I've lived in Kent for the past 12 years,my daughter and her husband and my grandsons live here to,I retired in January so I'm taking the time to revisit the past,for old times sake.when u see Colin,say hello from batesy for me,it's a long time ago,but I'm sure he will remember me eventually.

if you comming to nottingham for a few days visit let us know when wecan arrange a meetup in town while your here we do like to meet and put a face to members old and new

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that banjo48,did Colin stay around carlton,or did he go to pastures New,I lived all round nottingham at different times,but I've lived in Kent for the past 12 years,my daughter and her husband and my grandsons live here to,I retired in January so I'm taking the time to revisit the past,for old times sake.when u see Colin,say hello from batesy for me,it's a long time ago,but I'm sure he will remember me eventually.

Col lived on Foxhill when he first married and was there a fair while, then to Burton Joyce but he now lives on Burton Pastures.

I always stay with him and his wife when I return , its really handy for visiting my relatives around nottm. They stay with us or my kids when they come here, or his younger brother Roy just north of Sydney.

I try to get back to blighty every 2-3 years so am due a trip now. Mmnnn! food for thought.

Col lived on Foxhill when he first married and was there a fair while, then to Burton Joyce but he now lives on Burton Pastures.

I always stay with him and his wife when I return , its really handy for visiting my relatives around nottm. They stay with us or my kids when they come here, or his younger brother Roy just north of Sydney.

I try to get back to blighty every 2-3 years so am due a trip now. Mmnnn! food for thought.

It's got to be done banjo48,it's the same for me when staying in nottm I usually stay with my brother and his mrs,always nice to catch up with them,he's five years younger than me,the baby of the family even though he is 61years young now,you mention Colin living in Burton joyce for a while,my dad lived on spring lane Burton Joyce for a good few years,before moving back to carlton ,

• Upvote 1

and to me batesy its nice to meet the members in person maybe you can both come to nottingham when we have nottstalgias 10th birthday bash and lets see howmany members old and new we can get together,

• Upvote 2

Been reading a lot of the different topics on nottstalgia to get a flavour of how it all works,and isn't it amazing how you only have to here a surname,a place,name of a street,it can literally be anything and suddenly it triggers the old memory bank into action,just read a piece on another thread mentioning canarvon grove,and it triggered memories of my first proper bike,took it for a spin with my mate Bill Willerton on his(we would both be about ten years old) ,cycling from the top of conno all the way down cavvo,we were approaching Canarven grove at a fair rate of knotts,turning right into canarven I miss judged it,mounted the pavement went round a lamp post and finished up in the hedge bottom,....lots of your memories just need that little trigger

Was it a 39 bus that used to take u into nottingham,from carlton square.I remember it originally as a trolley ? bus,and when it got down to manvers street they had to use those long poles to switch to another cable line above the bus,there would be flashes and sparks flying everywhere,can't remember where the 39 terminus was nottingham end,anyone remember ?

Was it a 39 bus that used to take u into nottingham,from carlton square.I remember it originally as a trolley ? bus,and when it got down to manvers street they had to use those long poles to switch to another cable line above the bus,there would be flashes and sparks flying everywhere,can't remember where the 39 terminus was nottingham end,anyone remember ?

Take a look at the map in this old thread for the answer. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7151

NO BATESEY ITS NOW NO 27 REVERSAL OF 72 BUS THAT STARTED TO RUN UP TO BOTTOM END OF CONNO WERE THE OLD COOP WAS AND EVENTUALLY WENT RIGHT TO THE TOP EN CONO THAT STARTED RUNNING UP CAVO ABOUT 1967ISH IT ALSO BEGAN RUNNING INTO BILBOROGH TOO AFTER TROLLEY BUS STOPPED RUNNING THERE WAS STILL A 39 BUS TO THAT ONLY CAME TO THE OLD TERMINOUS THE 27 ONLY GOES AS FAR AS TOWN CENTRE NOW IF YOU WANT TO GO THE REST OF ITS JOURNEY TO BILBOROUGH YOU HAVE TO CHANGE TO 28 BUT LUCKILY KNOW ONE ALL DAY TICKET TAKES YOU ON AS MANY BUSSES AS YOU LIKE IN ONE DAY 3 POUNDS 40 PENCE.

Thanks for that piggy and babs,don't suppose the old Trent buses run any more do they,I know one used to run through to Burton Joyce,and was it gunthorpe and loudham there was one or the same.we used to call it gunthorpe and toilets,because the road sign saying gunthope,also said toilets on it.

Piggy and babs Talking about a bus running up to the top of conno ,is the shop still there,I remember it was two families that started that shop,one family was the bellshaws or bellfields,they used to live on the corner of coningswath and Ernest rd ?, they had two sons Ken and Pete,can't remember other families name,I know the husband worked on the railway down closing.