“The Past In Bits for Old Gits”

A few years ago I decided to produce a little brochure to send to friends on their birthday taking them back to their early years and called it The Past In Bits for Old Gits. I included many subjects both local and general, one of which was local cinemas (or picture houses as they were then known). I listed them below and wondered iif anyone can recall any in the Nottingham area that Ive missed. Thanks.

ABC Adelphi (Bulwell) - Apollo (Berridge Road) Aspley/Commodore Boulevard Bryon (Hucknall) Capitol Classic Elite Essoldo (Beeston) - Essoldo (Lenton) - Forum Futurist Gaumont Globe Grand Imperial Lenos Mechanics Metropole Moulin Rouge News Theatre Odeon Orion - Ritz (Carlton) -Roxy (Daybrook) Savoy - Tudor Vernon - Victoria Windsor

the savoy is still open mellisa and still resonable price.

cosy was on wright st netherfield and the regal on station rd carlton

I think the Savoy struggles for customers because there's nowhere nearby to park so people would rather go to the cinemas in town or the Showcase. We always go to the Showcase. My Dad used to go to the Savoy as he lived in Lenton, he would have been 14 when it opened.

• Upvote 1

yes i too like savoy but as lizzie said parking around there not good now plus lots of steps hence not very disabled friendy but they do try. and they very good for private shoings of films if you want to take a large group. often did that when i was working with kids.

• Upvote 1

I remember going to watch the damb busters at the Ritz in carlton,one of my first memory of the cinema,and I think I recall was it Dan dare or something on a Saturday morning at the regal,cost all of sixpence,or two and a half pence these days.

the regal and the barbers shop are now owned and used by the penticostal churchthat was on the other side of the barbers shop the original church building is used for community work youth clubs ,mums and todler sect they also have a charity shop there the money from this goes back into its community groups, barbers used for offices. and cinema is the main church building there is now a coridor linking all three buildings.

i always prefered ritz to regal but regal usually started about half an hour later on a saturday afternoon so if you were late or could not get in ritz you could rush up to regal for there 6d rush.