Windows XP support ends

Oh No !

Support for Windows XP ends today !

If you turn on your computer and connect to the internet then you will be invaded by every virus and fearful exploit.

What's more, all your software will stop working and your monitor will burst into flames.

If only you'd done what Microsoft told you and gone out and bought all their latest products.

Or maybe...... nothing bad will happen and you'll just carry on as normal

I tell you what... The best thing I have ever bought is this Chromebook. Starts immediately

No long windows updates that usually end in it crashing and you neading to go back to last restore point (again and again as the updates fail!)

No delays in webpage loading due to stuff running in the background. No Virus problems. no spyware :)

...and if you use Google Apps, you can do pretty much everything on the Chromebook!

I plan on updating my desktop to Win 8 - I am already using it on the laptop (using it now), and despite a few cosmetic differences, it is pretty much like XP. Also means I can finally make use of the 32 bit processor! I had put off updating because I was still using an old version of Office, but I will also update to Office 360 - which allows installation on up to four computers for $99/year - not a bad price! Yes, I hear you say that I don't need Office, but I run my business using Access and do a lot of data analysis with access for my wife!

The thing that put me off Chromebooks was the small screen, but I got one on offer via Hotukdeals.com from Argos @£134.99 :)

HP 14 INCH PAVILION 16GB 4GB CHROMEBOOK refurb. £134.99 with 10% off @ Argos ebay including 12 month warranty and free delivery.

I've been running 7 for almost a year now and had my first "crash" a few days back, seems to be stable now.

Only thing I use the PC for is Invoices billing software & the CNC computer that runs the machine.

I use my Samsung Tablet for almost everything.

I have happily been using Linux Mint for several weeks now and I love it. Very stable lots of software and can even run my windows programs if I want to. Takes up lots less HD space and no constant updates doing goodness knows what to your computer. My tail is wagging!

What ? !!

No security flaws, no bug fixes, no constant updates ?

Can't be a real Operating System ( !)

I know what you mean loppylugs.....I tried Mint on my laptop a while back and was amazed at how easy it was to install and use.

It also has a lot of software available for it now (free) to do all the things that you had to buy from Microsoft.

It's amazing really that Microsoft came up with an operating system that worked so well.

XP has lasted 13 years - well beyond it's projected life, and now they're desperate to kill it.

I still maintain that people would have moved away from it a lot quicker if their more recent offerings had been vast improvements with more desirable features.

Can anyone direct me to the Microsoft Apps store, I want to download some free usable software.

I found both Google Play and the Android apps download area.

There is evidence that virus's targeting Linux systems are emerging. However free antivirus protection is available. If you are worried about the end of support for windows XP then look at Linux. It's free, faster than windows, does not need an immensely powerful pc and tons of RAM to run it, is both stable and secure and some versions are very XP like so there is no steep learning curve. What is there not to like.

I have installed Linux on my old (Pre Chromebook) laptop.

I cant seem to get very far with it?

Cant get networking from the Router?

Somewhere I have a Hiren's Boot CD this has linux and a cut down version of XP

Have you tried Mint?

I seem to remember a minor problem with networking in that it wouldn't recognize my Dell's wireless card. Long story short. I got on the Linux Mint forum and got some kind of magic code that I had to put in via a command line window like DOS. Reboot and my wireless card is working better than it ever did. I was always having annoying problems trying to get XP to connect to my network. Sometimes up to twenty minutes of frustrating attempts usually followed by a reboot. Another five minutes. Mint boots in less than 30 seconds and is already connected to my network as soon as the welcome screen comes up.