• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a look at the births and marriages records . Carni is right , there is a marriage in Basford district (which includes Carlton) in 1941 between Arthur J Beckinsale and Maggie Barlow . If you

I didn't know his family. I knew him he was on the same Drama course as me at Clarendon College along with Janet (was it Sewell?), David Dixon, Joanne Allen and others I cannot remember the names of.

Are you researching material Batesy, for a book or article on Richard Beckinsale ?

Trying to get my head round the info you found David d regarding Margaret w born 1942 (basford district) ,is this Margaret a sister of Richards,

Or just an unrelated person,it can't be Margaret Barlow( Richards mother) as she is only 5 years younger than him.

When trying to trace some of my ancestors several years ago on one of the popular sites, the reference to Rutland appeared many times, yet we have no connection with the place.

Someone must have tracked their own background . Any ideas why Rutland should appear ?

Batesy , without buying the birth certs you can't be 100% certain who those Beckinsales births are but I would be fairly confident that Margaret W and Judith were older sisters to Richard . Parents surnames are right and the years seem to fit .

The birth indexes don't give the christian names of the parents , only the birth certs give those .

It's a fairly unusual name but not entirely impossible that some other Mr Beckinsale wandered into the area who had married some other Miss Barlow and had children there , thats why you can't be 100% sure without the certs .

I read # 53 and realised I had seen ref to Rutland before, Myself and Brothers and Sisters were all Carlton and Gedling born. On Ancestry.com the registrations are all Nottingham but the inferred county is also Rutland. I also have no idea why!

Apparently Richard had two sisters that survived him,( Judy and Wendy ),would be interesting to know if they were carlton girls,also his first wife Margaret,who was pregnant with Richards first daughter at age of 17,where was she from,I know she was a nottingham girl,any one know ?

Did this book ever come out , (link below) , written by first wife Margaret Bradley ? There is an email address for her at the bottom of the page , if it's still "live". If anyone knows the answers , she will !

http://www.richardbeckinsale.co.uk/index.php?s=bradley&x=8&y=13

• Upvote 2

No hippo girl,just interested in the story ,we were born in the same town,at the same time,he lived about a mile away from me,and I just think it's interesting to find all the local connections,carlton isn't exactly Hollywood but it's where I was born and raised,and it gives us something in common,I think its really great he has connections there,and I for one am proud of that fact,so I would love to know all the little facts and threads that made up his life In carlton and nottingham .

• Upvote 2

Just googled Orlando drive carlton where Richard was born,and it came up with several houses for sale,they look very nice,230,000 quid for one now,be interesting to know what it cost 66 years ago,but looking at the pictures I can now visualise the area he lived .

Whilst on the subject of `brilliant' Nottingham people,I saw a program last night about Jake Bugg.(on Australian TV), What an outstanding musician and singer this young man will be. Reminds me of another highly skilled young woman who lived fairly close by and despite a very troubled childhood,has become an outstanding actor/director.

• Samantha Jane Morton is an English actress and film director. She has won a BAFTA Award and a Golden Globe Award. She is also a two-time Academy Award nominee
  • Upvote 2

Hello Stan,I lived in Clifton for 20 years or more,my children were brought up there,my daughter went to high bank junior school there,and she was a school mate of Jake Buggs dad,from what my daughter tells me,they had their hardships one way and another,but I agree he's someone to be proud of,it's a shame Richard Beckinsale died so young,pretty sure he would be world renowned without a doubt

• Upvote 1

Our eldest son who still lives in Nottm, raves to me about Jake Bugg, and has done for a while, then as Stan said a program appears here in Oz of the same person.

Will have to watch it on Iview (catchup) as I watched a different channel :-(

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Sorry only just found this thread.

I was at Clarendon College at the same time as Richard Beckinsdale but I was doing business studies not drama but used to see him in the common room/ canteen area......never got to speak to him though.
Slightly off topic but my day release was all day in the main building then a break and an evening session in the annexe at the top of Forest Road/ Waverley Street opposite the Vernon Arms where we spent our break having a pint of black velvet and a cob. Happy days.

• Upvote 1

Coincidence - Wet afternoon yesterday so watched the TV, namely the 1979 movie called Porridge.

Richard Beckinsale died a few weeks after the completion of this film but he showed no signs of ill health in the picture, just the high class of acting for which he was becoming renowned.

A sad loss indeed.

Porridge was one of the most perceptively written and excellently acted comedy shows of all time. It didnt rely on canned laughter or catch phrases, but just plain old wit. The actors were not comedians but actors who did comedy. The repartee between the characters was perfectly timed.