Superstitions when you were a youngster

I was talking with some friends and the subject of superstitions came up and one that I mentioned no one had heard of. Anyway on checking on the internet I found it.

It was “if you see an ambulance you must hold your collar until you see a dog”.

Have you any ‘strange’ superstitions from your younger years?

If I did that with living near the City Hospital and the dozens of ambulances that pass, I'd either end up strangling myself, or carted off to Rampton.

OK, stop cheering everybody.

• Upvote 1

I was talking with some friends and the subject of superstitions came up and one that I mentioned no one had heard of. Anyway on checking on the internet I found it.

It was “if you see an ambulance you must hold your collar until you see a dog”.

I remember hearing that one when I was younger, and even back then I didn't understand it and thought it was stupid.

When it was thundering my Auntie Marion used to put towels over all the mirrors in the house & made sure all Knives forks & spoons were in draws & not on show, she thought they'd attract the lightning, yet she'd leave the aerial plugged in the telly. She also went mad if you put an umbrella up in the house, what harm could that do?.. :)

Maybe not a superstition but I remember the curtains being drawn in a house where someone had died. These days they get drawn to keep the sun off the tele'.

If you wash clothes on New Years Day you wash someone out of the family. Also If you break a mirror it is seven years bad luck.

• Upvote 1

Never brush the sweepings of the floor out the door....you are sweeping your luck out of the door as well.

Never go back into the house once you have left it to start a trip....brings bad luck.

Crossed knives sign of an arguement!

Empty beer glass upside down on table in a pub means you will fight anybody.

Putting shoes on a table is bad luck for the rest of the day,

It is bad luck to see a new moon for the first time through glass,

When giving a purse or wallet as a gift, always put a coin in it to bring good luck,

When giving a knife as a present, always get the recipient to give you something in return such as a small coin in order to deflect bad luck, and

IF YOU BELIEVE IN A SUPERSTITION, IT WILL ALWAYS FOLLOW YOU!

• Upvote 1

Some good uns there trevor that i had forgot,i dont think i am superstitious but i always stop and think about it when doing some of the things mentioned,so perhaps i am.

• Upvote 1