On a recent visit to Spain, close to the border with Portugal, The coach pulled in to a café. I was getting close to the front of the queue when an irate British woman with a Yorkshire accent came to the counter and said to the serving chappie "Hey, you didn't put any milk in my tea". He ignored her. She then repeated it only a bit louder - as you do when speaking to foreigners. He ignored her. She then said "I want some milk in my tea". He looked at her and shrugged. SWMBO then told her to fetch her cup and ask for "Leche". She fetched her cup and said "Erum....I want milk". He walked away. She followed and pestered him for a while longer before coming back and telling me that the bloody foreigner was ignoring her. At this point I told her that I would ask for milk for her when it was my turn - at which point she said "Hey - milk". He ignored her but had heard what I said to her. It then came to my turn and he looked at her and said "Ah....Leché" as if the penny had only just dropped and put milk in her, by now, cool tea. I then asked for my drinks in Spanish and he replied in good English "Certainly sir" and smiled at me. As I went to a seat I passed her and told her again what to ask for next time. She just replied "Bloody foreigners"....Is there any wonder we are reviled wherever we go?

Without looking it up word for word (cant spell ver batum),i came across a ruined lookout tower in southern spain,on it was a plaque detailing its history,which went soomething like this,

I n 866 after the Muslim conquest a seat of learning was established on this site and for many years the clerics studied and taught astronomy and converted locals into the islamic way of life,after the reconquest and the expulsion of the muslims the locals added to the fine architecture with some fine mosaic tiled flooring,it continued as a place of worship and learning for over 200 years,then in 1726 the English BLEW IT UP.

SAYS IT ALL,dont it!

• Upvote 1

Sounds crazy me saying this, being an English immigrant myself, but the "new breed" of pom that are appearing here in oz makes me cringe !

You can spot them a mile away with their vests (singlets) and medallions on gold chains around their necks, an of course the ubiquitous baseball hat on back to front ! Oh and considerable tattoo's everywhere, especially the female variety.

Their manners or lack of them makes me be ashamed sometimes to call my self English. Sorry if I offend anyone but that's just how they appear to us ozzy's :-)

• Upvote 5
149366006-565x375_6.jpg

Of the almost 200 current member states (and one observer state) of the United Nations, the British have, at some point in history, invaded and established a military presence in 171 of them.

This is what British historian Stuart Laycock learned after his son asked him how many countries Britain had invaded. He dug into the history of almost 200 nations and found only 22 that the Brits hadn’t marched into. He talks about each one in All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To, released in 2012.

• Upvote 1

That's all very well, but as I have stated on a previous topic, we gave the Empire education, language, health care, legal systems, transport systems, the benefits of the Industrial Revolution, military security etc etc. I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

• Upvote 1

What makes me laugh is the fact that we have to grovel and apologise for our Imperial indiscretions, and actions during past wars, but I have yet to hear anyone apologising to us for their atrocities during conflict!

• Upvote 2

That's all very well, but as I have stated on a previous topic, we gave the Empire education, language, health care, legal systems, transport systems, the benefits of the Industrial Revolution, military security etc etc. I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

NO Speak English

A Russian woman married a Canadian gentleman and they lived happily ever after in Toronto

The poor lady was not very proficient in English, but did manage to communicate with her

husband. The real problem arose whenever she had to shop for groceries.

One day, she went to the butcher and wanted to buy chicken legs. She didn't know how to put forward her request, so, in desperation, clucked like a chicken and lifted up her skirt to show

her thighs. Her butcher got the message and gave her the chicken legs.

Next day she needed to get chicken breasts, again she didn't know how to say it, so she

clucked like a chicken and unbuttoned her blouse to show the butcher her breasts.

The butcher understood again and gave her some chicken breasts.

On the 3rd day, the poor lady needed to buy sausages. Unable to find a way to communicate this, she brought her husband to the store...

(Please scroll down.)

What were you

thinking?

Her husband speaks English!

• Upvote 1

Back on topic.................. slywink

I agree with you 100%, Stan. Some of the new poms make you cringe with their holier than thou attitude and their belief that Australia owes them a living, even before they have actually got to know the neighbours.

Mick, perhaps you would like to create a separate thread for this other topic regarding war atrocities.

My original point is that many Brits expect everyone to kow-tow to us; after all, we won the world don't we! That particular woman (in her fifties) was rude in the utmost and even when given the correct word, rufused to use it. I offered to order for her to end my embarrassment. The counter fellow seemed to understand this and only served her directly before I oredered.

I and my family lived in Brisbane for a few years.. It did not take long before we changed gear slowed down & fitted in with the aussies.. Good times.

As they (Who ever they are) say "When in Rome"

• Upvote 2

Same here Barnzy, lived down under for ten years and fitted in like a well made key, made many, many friends, some I still keep in contact with.

Living in a rural area in the Ozarks of Missouri, we are "total outsiders" but have been accepted, something even born Americans find extremely difficult.

I was told by an amateur radio friend who was born in this area, outsiders used to be burned out and chased out the area not too far back in time..So I must be doing something right.

• Upvote 1

I must have done some things right, I supervised a load of electricians and had their respect, that's one thing Ozzies will let you know and where to get off, is if they have no respect for you..They were a great bunch of fellers, hard workers..

• Upvote 1

After living in a tourist town for 28 years, it didn't take us long to Spot The Brits. The middle aged ones anyway. They stood out like a sore thumb, and obviously didn't mind one bit, Or else they'd have taken themselves to the nearest Walmart and bought themselves some white socks and tennis shoes, or even a pair of sandals. Instead they seem to be happy to wear shorts, brown socks and lace-up shoes! Not all, I might add, but quite a few.

Shorts,brown socks,lace up shoes,quite normal i"d say,katyjay",so long as it was finished off with a nice TIE, :)

I must have done some things right, I supervised a load of electricians and had their respect, that's one thing Ozzies will let you know and where to get off, is if they have no respect for you..They were a great bunch of fellers, hard workers..

I like the she'll be apples attitude of the aussies. Also they are so multicutural that where we lived in Greenslopes we me every race i reckonapart from an eskimo.. Never met one of them. I think they are called inuit now.. Pardon my ignorance!

If I ever wear brown socks with shoes and shorts, or even socks with sandals and shorts, Mary has a standing order to shoot me - 'cause I've just gone senile!

I have noticed that a good number of the Brits that come here as a married couple do the most complaining - usually along the lines of "it's not like England is it" - Of course it bloody isn't, it's AMERICA! Most of the ones I knew finally went back. However, the ones that came as single people were forced to assimilate into the country to make friends, find partners, etc. Most of them stayed.

Apologies to Katy, a notable exception that perhaps proves the rule!

• Upvote 3

Limey, we had the same down here in Oz and they gave rise to the phrase 'Whingeing Pom', now an integral part of the Australian language and folklore.