beach bum missed you today saw seaside lady said you not long been gone

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just want to thank you all for the warm welcome x

New to this site so hi everyone, its been years since I have been to Nottingham, lived in Netherfield forester street close to Chandos street, used to go to Curzon street playground there was a ch

I lived in Nottigham from September 1977 to July 1979. I was a student at Arnold & Carlton College of FE. I've been living in the US for the past 35 years. In Seattle the last 12 years. I stil

sheila i remember pete burrows and his sisters margret and christine mr alf crawford lived near the top end had a son called norman alf had a club foot and liked to sit on a chair outside his house when wheather was nice. remember a few other families from down there but might have been when you moved to bailey st.

mrs otter was a bit scary stan allison dad had the bike shop next to her mainly spears repairs and second hand bikes sometimes

Hi Babs, I remember Mr. Crawford , his club foot used to fascinate me when I was little, and I remember Norman. Sheila Mann lived on Festus st I think. The Astills lived at the top of Arthur st. You won't remember the floods in the late 1940s, but somebody reading this might do. The water was half way up the houses on Colwick vale and food parcels were taken to residents who were living upstairs by boat.

Sorry Dave, I don't remember your name, but I must have seen you at school. I used to play with Susan Key , she lived on Hodgkinson st the last house on the left near the railway line. Do you know her?

Hi Sheila. That brought back a long forgotten memory. Did Susan Key have an older brother? There was a young fella came out of that house riding his bike into Netherfield. I was just a little kid playing in the street. As he rode past me he would always say, "I'm gonna send that policeman to get you!" Used to scare the pants off me. I'd always run back to the safety of my back yard. My mom was friendly with the lady next door to them. I think her name was Eileen Mills, her husband was Harry, they had two or three daughters. Always remember they still had gas lighting even though there was electricity on the street. Guess they had never had it installed. They were a couple of the biggest houses on that street. Not like the other terraced houses at all.

Hi Loppylugs, that's right they were the two biggest houses on the street. They had what they called a breakfast room just off the kitchen, we had a scullery and a living room. Susan did have a brother, Edward who was older than her, I think he liked scaring the little kids.

sheila think you would be in my sister jeans year at school. no i dont remember the floods in 1947 but i have read quite a lot about them. remember the astils quite well especialy john he was in the same year as my younger brother met him a few times in later life as he joined my husbands fishing clubso i used to see him at social nights and club meetings i used to go and meet a couple of my mates while they had thier meettings.in latter years a couple of my mates used to live in the keys house bottom of hodgekinson st. your right it was a big house compeared to others round it as was the two on pearson st in the same position duggie plumb and his familylived in that one mrs plumb had kidney problems and had a cabin put in there gardenthey had to use a craine to lift it over the railway lines into the garden

Always seemd spooky to me. Especially with those flickering gas lights. Straight across the street was another large house. I think their name was Reeves. So close to the tracks. I'll bet those trains used to rattle the dishes.

before my grandfather died he would not have electricity put in so it was not till after he died that mum had elictric only gas mantle lighting down stairs and candles up. thank goodness i wasent born till afer we had electric throughout all for rooms but if i remember right we only had one plug socket in the front room things like electric iron were run of extra socket run fron the lights in the kitchen and frunt room

There was always at least one man in the street who worked on the railway. If his shift started in the early morning there was a caller up who was like an alarm clock. He was somebody who would knock on the bedroom window with a long pole.then there was the man who used to light all the gas lamps in the street, and in the morning he came round and put them out.

He was the knocker-up. We tell folks over here about getting knocked up, they laugh, cos it means something totally different here!

• 1 year later...

New to this site so hi everyone, its been years since I have been to Nottingham, lived in Netherfield forester street close to Chandos street, used to go to Curzon street playground there was a chippy on the corner great curry sauce .

anyone remember mavis brookes she used to be the crossing lady on victoria road close to the co-op all the kids used to know her as we passed her daily on the way to school behind the electrical shop opposite co-op .

After that, I went to the school in forester street then to Chandos school before moving on to Carlton le willows.

Do you remember any of your old teacher ...Mr DLT Edwards ,head teacher , Mr graham maths , Mrs Hogarth blood french , Mr lawson English all the girls thought he was a dream ..he he and his wife Mrs lawson there was a Mr Cadwallader ,

the memories are all flooding back , what about jack bells field it was an adventure playground used to be a church hall opposite.

I was there during the silver jubilee remember the street parties and the bands .

does anyone remember any of these girls Julie Field ,Alison Bennett, Karen watts , mandy cox, Yvonne brookes, Deborah Spencer ,Nina summers , Kim Hutchinson ,mandy bacon , are any of them still living over in Nottingham?

• Upvote 2

We moved to Bailey st when I was 11, used to play on the rec at the bottom of Forester st, a gang of us used to go on the Cricket field and jump the concrete blocks under the bridge. When I think back to what we all used to do , but we couldn't see any danger then.

chicken they had those blocks on emery street remember the pathway that ran from there going towards Carlton le willows school from the bridge on Chandos street or you could walk straight up to the horse field by the railway by the bungalows

and turn left cross over the railway and straight on used to be some sweet shops and a chippy up there

hi sheila like you i went to aswell st then carlton girls how old are you im 63 lived in netherfield till i was 13 then moved to carlton but still went to station rd school wellcome to nottalgia i remember several sheilas from netherfield , sheila huggins, sheila rowley, sheila payne ,sheila dethridge, sheila cartlidge. was a popular name at the time.

babs

station road school that's the one I was missing from my memory it was built like and aircraft had bunkers behind it under the field , your post reminded me of that school on the way to Carlton the gooden family bought a house up the hill behind the school there used to be a dress cutting shop

hello khelouda I'm new today too! Isn't it funny how once you start remembering you start going off on other tangents and even more memories come flooding back? I went to Mundella Grammar school which was near Trent Bridge - in fact we were terrified of the TB school kids who used to wait for us at the corner chanting 'Red and yella Monkeydella'. :)

Thankyou! I've been scrolling through some old topics, been smiling at all the ghost signs. I remember Halls on Alfreton Road.

What prompted me to sign up was reading through google some posts about maps of Forest Fields. I'd been telling my grandaughter about a murder on Russell Road about 1977 - well that was when the body was found in the cellar - and I used to babysit for the chap who did it. He was a railway worker called George but I can't find anything about it. Google is so helpful - haha - I typed in history of Russell Road and had some hits on Russell Howard's latest tour. Can anyone remember this?

Hello Khelouda and Orphan Annie. Hope you'll enjoy Nottstalgia, but be prepared.... It can be addictive!