• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in my Narrow boating days, when I could afford a beard..

Neither have I Fynger

Don't they look like they've been to an audition for a new version of the Village People?

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The Lord Jesus had a beard though,

Did he though? It was way over 600 years before he was depicted with a beard. He was shown clean shaven until then...

Beards have never gone out of fashion, shaving only got popular due to the military.

How did men, and come to think of it, hairy women shave before the razor was invented??

Sharp knife, sharpened sea shell??

It's highly probable JC sported a beard, he was a Jew, and they all wore beards back then, and he was also a Rabbi, again all sported a beard back then, I'd hazard a guess you were considered a heathen shaving in those days.

• Like 1

Isaiah 50 vs 6 speaks of a beard being plucked.  This verse written some 700+ years before the crucifixion lends prophetic support to Christ's having a beard. Just as Isaiah 53 foretells the crucifixion.

Historians say it was often the fate of condemned men to have their beard ripped out before crucifixion.

Well those who made the iconography all the those years ago had more recent memories and descriptions to go on than we do 2000 yrs later... just sayin...

http://www.religionfacts.com/jesus/gallery/image/150362

Christ Healing the Paralytic. From the Christian Building, Dura-Europos, ca. 232 CE. Yale University Art Gallery,

No argument Brew.  :)

Your point is fair enough.  At the end of the day it is not a critical matter to one's beliefs.  It has long been said that many of the pictures of Christ which we've seen since childhood may not be a true rendition.  He was a middle Eastern man who was probably pretty suntanned considering the amount of time he spent outside.

• Like 2

I'm just teasing LL, just teasing. At the end of the day it doesn't matter it is the message that's important. I'm atheist but my personal values line up with a lot that is preached in the bible but this way there be dragons so we will leave it at that..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Plucked??? Like a chicken....LOL   I'd hate to pluck mine now, would be mighty painful.

I grew my first beard when I was around 30 years of age, it was out of necessity, anybody who has worked around salt atmospheres, and I don't mean a day at the beach, I mean mining dust made of salt and potash will know the suffering we went through down Boulby.

On days I'd shave first thing in the morning and regret it the rest of the day, amazing how much skin is taken off with the average wet shave.

The rash used to get real bad after a couple of hours in the hot dusty conditions underground. A good majority of underground workers at Boulby sported beards.

My grandad always used to say "men who grow a beard have something to hide" I don't think he meant their chins either

Rog

• Like 1

I would never employ anyone who uses ''Upspeak''.........and says ''Absolutely'' and ''Wow'' in every other sentence,,,,,oh and just to keep it in topic,,has a Beard''............

• Like 1

Answer me this.  If the hair which grows naturally on the face of most men is so offensive.. why is the hair on their heads, or even all over their bodies.. not also offensive?

• Upvote 1

Perhaps everyone should shave off ALL their head, face and body hair, then no-one will be offended and we could all look like shopwindow mannequins............  Although putting some clothes  on would look and feel better I think!!   

What is the point in men shaving their heads and leaving hair to grow on their face? half a job if you ask me

Rog