Annoying Phrases

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went into Boots for my prescription last week. There was a woman in front of me who clearly wanted something they didn't have. She kept explaining why she needed it NOW! Every sentence was punctu

Hi Guys. This topic is like well cool innit? I mean like I said to me friend when he turned round n said 'Whats happenin' n I like said 'We is  talkin about people what don't talk proper ok' n he said

@radfordred  yes I agree.  How can meat melt in your mouth!  A lot of those cooking programmes amuse me anyway when they serve those teeny little portions of carefully arranged food accompanied with a

Suddenly, we have gone from 'Looking on..' to 'Watching on..' 

What's that all about then?

Taking it 'in the round', I'm 'fully on message' with DaveN for 'running this thread up the flagpole', to 'see how it flies'. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

A few thats being sent around the emails at work at the moment,"grow the pie"??? "getting on the bus"??? and "rowing the boat"???

not got a bloody clue what they are on about

Rog

Well, like, I can't stand the younger generation who, like, can't get through a sentence, you know, without saying like, about half a dozen times, throughout, like. And you know, they say you know a lot too, like. The biggest offenders over here, are the football players being interviewed after a game, many of which sound so uneducated. Money doth not maketh the man.

• Upvote 5

It's also those cockney retards on Eastenders that have an extremely irritating habit of miss pronouncing the T in the middle of a word. Thereby it sounds like two words. So party becomes part-ee, dirty becomes dirt -ee, wanted becomes want- ed.

Also an infuriating number of people say proper, instead of properly, making the phrase 'Do it proper' instead of 'Do it properly '.

A mass cull of the stupid is urgently required !

• Upvote 1

KJ, I couldn't agree more strongly. It drives me to distraction! 

I think, in the New Year, I will start speaking Chaucerian English and when the 'like' brigade complain about not understanding a word I say, I shall merely grin at them.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Yes like' and 'know whai mean yea,..............oh the 'cockneys' love their speech 'Geezers' aint they........the very very worst speakers are the 'tw..s.who end every statement like question a 'UPSPEAK' I call it...........and its spreading won't belong afore its the norm...........God help us............

• Upvote 1

There used to be some retard on the Eastenders program who used to say things like "do you fink i'm shtoopid" unable to say "stupid" never thought the word started with a SH,oh well I'm probably getting old and no longer wivit if ya no wha a mean

Rog

• Upvote 1

Yes Rog.........I do know what ya mean bruv,....lol............but I had such great times working with em,and made some good Pals,and I find their humour very quick and very funny,.............so all I have to say is ''any old iron,fings aint what they used to be'' orwhite Guv...sortid..............lol.

• Upvote 1

It's all relative though. I worked in London for quite a few years and it was all gahndahnaseefu'baw and blaaadiell wha'alarf. When I first went, I remember someone saying the office printer wouldn't work. Checked the plug I asked. They all fell about laughing, ' plug ( think Medders ) nah, 's bladdee plaag. '

Upspeak drives me mad too. Also when I worked in Leicester, every sentence ended with innit. 

• Upvote 1

I must admit I like watching "Coronation Street" but when Audrey Roberts the so called hairdresser open's her mouth and speaks, I want to crawl into a corner.

Quote A Roberts  So ye see Mrs Brown was alrady brwn befor her blue rise, an she had to pay forr it.

Play Bingo while on holiday the caller insisted the thirty three was furti free and thirty two was furti two.

Do we not teach at school English any more.

Not that I'm perfect far from it.

The modern generation are supposed to be clever but whenever I hear like several times in quick succession or innit at the end of a sentence, usually in a peculiar accent, I can't help thinking we are raising a generation of morons and halfwits. What happened to them being taught the Queen's English?.

And there lies the problem Ian,most of the young folk today want to make out they're afro carribean,are they ashamed to be British and proud?

Rog

• Upvote 2

I used to infuriate a boss who continually used..."Are you with me?" by stating.... "Yup!...I'm stood right next to you!"

His other use of..."At the end of the day!" resulted in my...."It gets dark!"  He was not amused.

• Upvote 1

Not too clever at English myself, but the younger generation where I work state that everything is 'Mega' or if I say sorry for instance they say 'no worries'. Drives me bonkers!

"Bad" or "Wicked" is supposed to mean that something is really good ?

Another one that does my head in is the continued every other word  "n 'that" really gets to me, bone idle sods.