Annoying Phrases

The more somebody keeps saying "right" when they are telling me something the more I am likely to disbelieve them. Likewise the people who speak very quickly make me think that they want me to miss something. My ears work at normal speed, I wish some of their mouths did the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went into Boots for my prescription last week. There was a woman in front of me who clearly wanted something they didn't have. She kept explaining why she needed it NOW! Every sentence was punctu

Hi Guys. This topic is like well cool innit? I mean like I said to me friend when he turned round n said 'Whats happenin' n I like said 'We is  talkin about people what don't talk proper ok' n he said

@radfordred  yes I agree.  How can meat melt in your mouth!  A lot of those cooking programmes amuse me anyway when they serve those teeny little portions of carefully arranged food accompanied with a

Ive mentioned it before,but got to say it again...........people who answer every statement with ''ABSOLUTELY''...............

Always footballers Ben, in post-match interviews.   Drives me mad too. But so does Natalie Jackson, I could do a better job than her.     "Yeeesss Dominic ......"

• Upvote 1

Nice one Phil, I bet she hasn't got the ar5e for it either. My wife says NJ is probably a very nice person, I replied that one has to be when one resembles an anteater ! Slap... Ouch !

I normally look forward to the sports news, as I've invariably just finished my dinner, but unfortunately when I see its her on, then somehow I seem to feel instantly sleepy. 

''Where for art thou my lovely wench''...........is what I say on coming home..........still annoys her...................

Benjamin, you do know, I hope, that "Wherefore art thou?" as in Romeo and Juliet means "Why are you?"   This means you are actually asking her :"Why are you my lovely wench?"

Quite a different question altogether!!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that Margie...............I didn't know that..........but I still think its a nice Query.................lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

My pet hate is the phrase "Gob Smacked", I cringe whenever I hear it. Cilla Black may be gone but she has left a dreadful blight on the English Language.

Rog highlighted the word Shtoopid and similarly I would put forward the word Shtewdent which seems to have grown in popularity. I must question the efficacy of the almost universally availability of degree courses, if the end result, in so many cases, is an inability to even speak English properly. Did this change in pronunciation come about at the same time that university became uni ?.

Little, bottle, metal , hospital  etc etc are all pronounced in the manner that little children were taught to sound out the letters and Dominic Littlewood with his "Conshumer" should be in line for rule 303.

The written word is similarly abused, in the last few months I have received correspondence to tell me that a "Burdala" had

entered a home and secondly that a lady had not been able to reply earlier as she had been working erotic hours. This second point could be correct and I may be unfairly critical of her language skills.

Television is similarly challenged, the man who was shouting we are all prawns in their hands, the travel show host who suggested we should visit a certain Archie Pelago and even Susie Dent on Countdown does not appear to pronounce medieval in the way she should.

Moan over !!!

• Upvote 3

My sentiments entirely Centaur. Any word with a T in the middle seems to be pronounced as two words. 

Such as... Part Eee, Cent Er, etc. It's as though they have an almost perpetual semi stutter.

Likewise, I hate hearing folk shorten a word unnecessarily. They say 'I did it proper'. No you retard, you did it properly! 

News readers, presenters and even outside reporters are to blame for it. They're just plain bone idle !

Yes, I detest Gob smacked too. Also the stupid phrase No brainer. Where in Gods name did this crap originate ?

• Upvote 1

Adverts for loans on tv or radio,have you noticed they speak faster and faster when they get to the terms and conditions ,that's so we don't hear it all as its usually a stupid amount for APR.

It's known as a glottal stop, FLY, or lazy speech as my dear old elocution/drama teacher, Phyllis Blackwell, of Whitby Crescent in Woodthorpe would have termed it! It drives me potty too!

• Upvote 1

I don't know why but a phrase that really grates on me is:  'Let's go to yours' or 'you coming to mine'?

• Upvote 1

"Back in the day". "Moving forward". "You know what I mean?"

The list is endless but my real, heartfelt, bete noir, number one, hated habit is the now seemingly ubiquitous use of the word "like" at every possible opportunity. Aaaaaarrrrrrgghhhhh! I'm going to strangle the next one who says it. The incredible thing is that this usage seems to have filtered through to older people as well.  Not this one! I am going to start speaking olde English in protest.

Shortlye, I fhall enjoyeth mine coffee wyth byfcuits and do heartily wyshe ye alle a pleasaunt mydde day repast!   ;)

• Upvote 4

Nice one'th young Jill'th I shall'th endevourus to keep up'th.......thou bonny maiden'th............farewell for now'th.......................lol

• Upvote 2

Ah, Benjamin! How farest thou? Thou lusty knight of Bulle Welle?

Methinks that thou shouldst afore too long be setting upon thy mydde day feaft at Wetherfpoons, served by some comely wench who, upon the sight of thy countenance, will find her platter all atremble! 

Tis an honour indeed, saith she, to serve so gallant a squire, so wellbeloved of maidens throughout the land!

Forsooth, thou canst do no wrong in the eyes of serving wenches, youthful Benjamin! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Methinks my olde English tis wayeth down the scaleth from your thou's,.........I have indeedeth frequented the Bulle welle hostillery this very morn,and twas served by a very comely wench........and once more met uth with friends from yore..............

• Upvote 1