Annoying Phrases

I'm with you on the 'like' thing, Jill.  When I was pastoring in Canada I had a number of teenagers who used it to the point of driving me nuts.  I took them aside and said I would take them out for like pizza if they could avoid misuse of the word like for a week.  Needless to say, at the end of the week they all claimed to have succeeded.  :rolleyes:. Anyway I honored my promise and took 'em all out.  It seemed like a fun way to address an irritating issue.  Not sure it did much good but I did notice a decrease of the word when I was around.

Another one is.  Then he goes.  So she goes.  Referring to speech.  I hear that even in adults.  It grates like fingernails on a blackboard.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went into Boots for my prescription last week. There was a woman in front of me who clearly wanted something they didn't have. She kept explaining why she needed it NOW! Every sentence was punctu

Hi Guys. This topic is like well cool innit? I mean like I said to me friend when he turned round n said 'Whats happenin' n I like said 'We is  talkin about people what don't talk proper ok' n he said

@radfordred  yes I agree.  How can meat melt in your mouth!  A lot of those cooking programmes amuse me anyway when they serve those teeny little portions of carefully arranged food accompanied with a

People who say........''I turned round''.........as in ''I turned round and said''..............my Father in-law uses it all the time........so every time he says it I turn round..............annoys the wife no-end........but he never says owt...............lol

• Upvote 3

On talent shows, when the panel say 'You nailed that song ', or 'You made that song your own ' .

What utter patronising twaddle !

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

"They say it's going to rain today" who are THEY

Rog

I always thought 'they' were those blokes on the air ministry roof.  If they were getting wet it was going to rain. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Was THEY the ones responsible for saying THEY reckon if you smoke you stand a chance of dying younger,or THEY reckon one day man will land on Mars.

slywink

Rog

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, FLY2 said:

On talent shows, when the panel say 'You nailed that song ', or 'You made that song your own ' .

What utter patronising twaddle !

What about  "she/he  owns  the room"  got to be one of the stupidest ever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2016 at 9:06 AM, FLY2 said:

I was in Pets at Home in Daybrook the other day as my daughter needed biscuits for her dog. 

I took the bag to the checkout to be met with...... Have you got a Loyalty Card ?  No, and I don't want one I replied. I was then told the benefits of owning one. I still said no. Would you like to donate 50p for unwanted pets at Christmas? Ok I said. 

How many units of 50p would you like to donate sir ? Well one of course I replied ! Well you can donate as much as you like sir ! 

Just give me the bleddy biscuits for Christs sake. It was like the Spanish Inquisition.

Next time, it'll be Wilkos for the stuff. 

Barking branch? 

• Upvote 3

I've moaned about "Hi Guys" enough times already but another bad taste of the month is esp on YouTube, the video starts with "What's up Guys" what's up ? the bleddy sky is up that's what, but "What's up Guys" really does my head in. GRRRRR

• Upvote 2

The Queens English has been good enough for people to communicate for many years so why does the younger generation need to cannibalise it these days I ask myself. Many of the phrases I knew as a youngster would get you funny looks these days due to somebody hijacking them for a totally different meaning. As the old saying stated "the man who truly knows what he is saying speaks in a language we all understand ".

• Upvote 1

It's all down to text speak & with due respect to our American cousins, American slang combination. The same as going into any cafe or shop & someone say's "Can I Get" ?

Not, "May I Have"  !!

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Guys go on top of bonfires so far as I am concerned. If anyone directs the phrase at me, I either ignore them or point out that I am female! 

You & Mrs Catfan think alike Jill !

• Upvote 1

Hi Guys. This topic is like well cool innit? I mean like I said to me friend when he turned round n said 'Whats happenin' n I like said 'We is  talkin about people what don't talk proper ok' n he said 'it's cos they don't like learn stuff, you know what I mean like when they is in school n stuff innit'. I turned round n said 'it's like amazin they don't learn you stuff like when they's supposed to innit'. When I did me exams I've like totally owned it guy enni. It 's marked D right? but that's good innit?

My mate don't go for all that stuff you know what I mean Say's it's like booshwah or summat n playing inter the capitalist system what wants to like crush the spirit of the workers n I turned round n said' but like you don't got a job n he said 'I know it's like n amazin way to fight the system inni.

He don't do this stuff like blue sky n says it's like undertakers what think  about boxes n all that innit.

Have a nice day..

• Upvote 7

Another misused word, here anyway, is the word 'Awesome."  As our pastor noted, 'A hamburger isn't awesome.  It may be good but it is not awesome.'  I find it annoying when I hear a parent telling a kid that his behaviour is 'awesome.'  Part of the everyone gets a prize mindset, that has turned so many kids into demanding little monsters.

• Upvote 3

Some phrases annoy by their absence.

5 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Another misused word, here anyway, is the word 'Awesome."  As our pastor noted, 'A hamburger isn't awesome.  It may be good but it is not awesome.'  I find it annoying when I hear a parent telling a kid that his behaviour is 'awesome.'  Part of the everyone gets a prize mindset, that has turned so many kids into demanding little monsters.

loppy, you sir are my hero !

• Upvote 2