Annoying Phrases

Now 50% of school leavers attend university, standards have plummeted. Can anyone explain this?

"Your" instead of "you're" is a pet hate of mine, but "of" replacing "have" drives me to distraction!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went into Boots for my prescription last week. There was a woman in front of me who clearly wanted something they didn't have. She kept explaining why she needed it NOW! Every sentence was punctu

Hi Guys. This topic is like well cool innit? I mean like I said to me friend when he turned round n said 'Whats happenin' n I like said 'We is  talkin about people what don't talk proper ok' n he said

@radfordred  yes I agree.  How can meat melt in your mouth!  A lot of those cooking programmes amuse me anyway when they serve those teeny little portions of carefully arranged food accompanied with a

#126 Absolutely agree with you Alan, but the problem with people using Of instead of HAVE is that that is the way they speak.   There's appalling spelling on Facebook groups, makes me cringe. 

• Upvote 2

Even the newsreaders and presenters on tv can barely speak the Queens English. Diversity!  My backside !

Only a couple stand out for me. Laura Kuenssberg, (i know she's Scottish, but I like how she speaks) and Carol Walker, the other female political correspondent. Otherwise, there are FAR too many Australian accents on the box. THAT makes me cringe !

Two that irritate me immensely just lately are..... 'It's gone viral'..... and 'Not on my watch'. 

We already have ENGLISH words to use, not this Stateside or Antipodean twaddle.

Another that I have possibly already mentioned is...... 'Good call'....... Something else instigated by consuming Budweiser or Fosters.... Ugh !

• Upvote 1

I have noticed of late, that the UK has become the 51st state of the USA. More and more words and phrases are American, the latest is Mom for mum or mam or mother. Crikey. 

• Upvote 1

Due Diligence is another irritating and useless phrase.

'Fake News'.  This is a popular term overused lately. In fact the news used to be interesting and occasionally fascinating, but with the Beeb showing its true colours, I don't know what is fake, and what is genuine. I mainly gave up with newspapers since retiring. Even the one that prints what I want to hear !

Todays news..... Was Trumps phone bugged..... Who cares. Did the Russians tinker with the polls, get real... Give Trump a chance for Christs sake. McCann investigation gets more cash.... Let's go the whole hog and turn over the whole of the Metropolitan Police Force to fumble about on more jollies investigating a case they've no intention of solving. Had the McCanns been working class salt of the earth types , the cops wouldn't have given a toss. We all know who's guilty !

Haddock is in short supply..... Who cares... Eat cod, pollock or whiting for goodness sake. 

Hot chocolate has more salt in it than sea water...... Laughable.

Millions starving in Africa (allegedly) yet again...... Another boost for Red Nose Day. 

Just who or what do we believe......... I know this, I'm bleddy well bored senseless with it!

• Upvote 3

More moaning about George Osborne and his multiple jobs. Again....laughable. Who REALLY cares. 

Does it affect us Nottstalgians ? No ! Life's too short to let it trouble us. 

• Upvote 1

Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.

Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

'Get the App', or worse still is 'Can't connect to server '.

Absolutely........Scrummy........Yummy..........sooooo..............tremendous..............fantastic............Yup.........Yep............and sooo many more.............

It's RAILWAY STATION not Train Station for fu*k's sake!  Furthermore I'm a PASSENGER not a blo*dy customer!  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

• Upvote 3

'This is a change to the advertised programme'.   

Also 'If you've been affected by this programme, then please call '........... Get real !

To be fair, what they usually say is along the lines of 'If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this programme'..etc... Such statements usually follow programmes about difficult or sensitive social issues, such as abuse, mental health etc.etc. In other words they are pointing to advice and support for those who might need it.  I see nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 1

On the whole, I agree if it is a topical newsworthy programme, but Corriedale........ Please, no.