Annoying Phrases

It's an interesting distinction.  TBH, I hadn't thought of soaps as being 'in the frame' on this point, because I never watch them.  But now you come to mention it, I have caught such statements at the tail end of soaps when switching channels etc. It raises another issue, at least where the Beeb is concerned.  I believe that the BBC is still expected to 'Inform, Entertain and Educate' its audience. If so, then is it being true to its remit, or is it being a bit paternalistic in presuming that the demographic which watches 'soaps', is the one which needs 'signposting' to sources of help?  It's a minefield.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went into Boots for my prescription last week. There was a woman in front of me who clearly wanted something they didn't have. She kept explaining why she needed it NOW! Every sentence was punctu

Hi Guys. This topic is like well cool innit? I mean like I said to me friend when he turned round n said 'Whats happenin' n I like said 'We is  talkin about people what don't talk proper ok' n he said

@radfordred  yes I agree.  How can meat melt in your mouth!  A lot of those cooking programmes amuse me anyway when they serve those teeny little portions of carefully arranged food accompanied with a

'Taking a Gap Year '........ Sod off you idle parasites. We've paid for your education, now get a bleddy job !

• Upvote 3

Errm.  Students ( or their parents) pay for higher education.. which is the usual process from which people take a 'Gap Year'.

People cannot, as far as I know claim any benefits during a gap year, so I don't see the problem.

My oldest saved hard to pay for her trip around the World after she'd done 4 years studying for her degree.  She travelled to Australia, where she worked for 6 months, before moving on to visit New Zealand, the Pacific islands, parts of the USA she'd not seen before and finally Mexico.

A large part of her motivation was that she wanted to literally 'see the World', before her eyesight deteriorated much further.

Errm ! It's just a phrase that annoys me. That's the title of the topic. I was not advocating the pros and cons of the system. 

Nobody mentioned claiming benefits. 

• Upvote 2

I don't wish to get into an argument Fly.. but you did use the phrase 'idle parasites', without qualification.  I'll leave it there.

Tongue in cheek DJ !

It's a touchy subject for me. 

Peace!  :)

"You've got your mojo back" as often spouted on so called 'talent' shows...... Get in the real world for goodness sake !

• Upvote 1

Download the "app" ? What's a bleddy "app" ? Should it not be an "Application" or something ? this text speak bastardisation of the English language really does my head in !

• Upvote 2

"I'll just put you on hold while I ask my supervisor" if you got to ask your supervisor everything you shouldn't answer the bloody phone let the supervisor answer it

Rog

• Upvote 3

Can I help you Babe?  , usually from a youngster fresh out of school. From my recollection Babe was a pig and by no stretch of the imagination do I fit into that category. Plus the fact if you ask them anything they just look gormless and tell you they don't know.

• Upvote 2

Mick,that conjures up all sorts of images about the urine sample you took in the other day slywink

Rog

• Upvote 5

"Hello, I'm home " can be quite disconcerting at times. As can "Where are you " when I answer my phone.

However, one of the most irritating when my girls were young was "Dad, can you lend me"........As in car tax, MoT, insurance etc.

• Upvote 2

Did any of you play "W*nk  Word" bingo to keep you awake at endless management ra ra meetings or when they brought consultants in to help improve morale of performance.

Here is a typical bingo card cross off five to win

synergies take that offline strategic fit at the end of the day gap analysis
revisit game plan bandwidth hard-ball show stoppers
results driven run it up the flagpole slippery slide ticks in boxes mindset
ball park proactive not reactive win-win situation think outside the box fast track
best practice bottom line core business lessons learnt touch base
the hard yards bench marking big picture value adding movers & shakers
strategic alliance empower employees move goal posts left hand not knowing right hand bread & butter
knock-on effect put this one to bed stakeholders quality driven no blame
  • Upvote 3

#168 - I've worked with people who speak using only those phrases. All words and no meaning or knowledge. They think they are on the cutting edge (a phrase not on your list, but should be) but actually they are all a pretentious waste of space who don't realise everyone in the real world is laughing at them.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

When the announcer between programmes says.... 'Introduced by Nick Knowles, or worse still, 'Introduced by Dermot O'Leary'.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that Nick Knowles does owt does he,every time I see him "doing" a property up his minions are doing the work while he just pisses about doing nowt,lazy sod and as for that other waste of space O'Leary I'm not even going to waste my time on him,pair of wasters

Rog

• Upvote 1