That's a nice find taxiray, but have you noticed that the NEP have done their usual thing of missing out an important bit? They don't provide a link or an address to the site they are talking about!

For the benefit of anyone who wants to dig a bit further, it's here http://maps.nls.uk/site-map.html

Scroll down until you come to the heading of Maps of England and Great Britain and then start clicking.

• Upvote 2

I had a goz (now there's a Nottingham word for yer) through the site and loved it although I have quite a few paper originals from the 1880s survey for the west Nottingham and east Derbyshire area. In the early 1980s when the kids were still at primary school my wife worked cleaning at Chalfont Drive in the evenings because I could be with the kids while she was at work. She mostly cleaned the DTI Radio Investigation Department but was often sent to do the Ordnance Survey building instead. She soon realised what that place was all about and knowing that I loved old maps she mentioned it to the guys who worked there. So they came to an agreement. Any maps left in a particular waste bin she could have. Most of them were copies of stuff used for surveying sites for building on. Many were acetates for OHP use and I still have most of them. But the best was the nights when she came home from work with a bag full of 6in to the mile OS maps from 1880s survey. I still use them a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just read this on another message board . Might be useful as I understand the old-maps site has become more difficult to use .

For some time the National Library of Scotland has had online mapping for all Scotland, including old Ordnance Survey maps. They have now added online historical maps for England and Wales, including 6" to a mile maps, so you can see street names and buildings. It defaults to scotland but you can select England and Wales from the drop down categories menu.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/

Oh yes but this link seems to go to a more user friendly page, can you combine the threads ?