I just stopped off at the Plough in Radford for a swift half last week and spotted a rack of bottles of Shipstones! I thought I had the DTs or something, but it appears someone has bought the rights to Shipstones and is brewing again to the old recipe.

http://www.shipstones.com/

I bought a couple of bottles of the stuff and tried one last night. It did taste remarkably like I recall. Only this time it didnt give me diarrhoea. It used to!!

• Upvote 1

I had a pint in The Ned Ludd about three weeks ago nice pint but a tad pricey there (£3 80)

Was in Leicester yesterday & The Ale Wagon had it

I also have the T-shirt from the city information shop on Smithy Row

I had a pint in the Chesterfield @Shelford a few weeks ago, it was dreadful, nothing like I remember it in the Brewery tasting room or Loggerheads!

Talking breweries there are now three on Meadow Lane.

The latest being "Totally Brewed"

Unit 10

Fruit & vegetable Market

Meadow Lane

NG2 3JJ

Had a pint of their Voodoo stout last week in The Crafty Crow very nice too. :)

I had a pint in the Chesterfield @Shelford a few weeks ago, it was dreadful, nothing like I remember it in the Brewery tasting room or Loggerheads!

It has been 'Tweaked' Mick, according to their blurb.

Where is it brewed now then, and how did they aquire the name since it was applied to some tasteless gripewater produced in Birmingham I think, after Greenhalls shut the Star Brewery down. It concerns me that the boss worked for Whitbreads for 16 years, an evil corporate company selling vile beer, not the sort of thing you'd want to mention in your CV if you want to be accepted by CAMRA.

• Upvote 1

The problem with many brewers is they use sugar, REAL beer is brewed ONLY with malt, good water, and top quality hops.

I want to get back into home brewing again, haven't brewed since I left Australia, some 25 years back.

I'm going to start off this time making my own malt, I have some barley seed I collected last year, that will be planted in the next week or so. Once I have enough spare barley for malting I'll "sparge" it, wet it down unil there are shoots, then it goes in the oven for roasting, I want a golden brown coloured malt for a bitter style brew. I'll buy Goldings hops and a good beer yeast.

Next year I'll plant some hop seed, and raise my own, yeast will be collected and kept in the fridge for beer and bread making.

Sugar is a no no in high quality beer making, and todays store bought malts are something less than desired, they usually contain multi grain malts.

My best beers I brewed were made from pure barley malt extracts in Oz, Lagers and bitters. I still have my recipe books where I kept measurements and Sp Gr readings.

It has been 'Tweaked' Mick, according to their blurb.

Where is it brewed now then, and how did they aquire the name since it was applied to some tasteless gripewater produced in Birmingham I think, after Greenhalls shut the Star Brewery down. It concerns me that the boss worked for Whitbreads for 16 years, an evil corporate company selling vile beer, not the sort of thing you'd want to mention in your CV if you want to be accepted by CAMRA.

I would have thought that working for 16 years in a brewery, no matter how bad the final product, would have given Richard Neale some considerable insight into how to make beer. I find it totally acceptable that Neale has recreated Shippos. CAMRA are supporting Neale and the new Shippos. Long may it continue.

The bottled stuff was close to how I remember it. Next time I'm in Nottingham I'll get to one of the places which sell it from the keg and let you know if its any good.

Just a thought from an old home brewer, but unless he brews it with the same water source, it will never taste like the original...Good water is the key to good beer.

I have good water permeating through thick limestone beds.

And... Neale is NOT the brewer! If you read all the info on their site you will understand he is doing this because he disagreed with what the big brewers are doing. I was never a Shippos fan, but I applaud his efforts to bring back a local brewer!

• Upvote 2
  • 3 years later...
20 hours ago, radfordred said:

You don't say? I've got diarrhoea, Mrs got diarrhoea, my lads got diarrhoea, even the dogs got diarrhoea, runs in the family.

But I'm not deaf :)