Photo Manipulation

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure how this will turn out. I too like my Photo Shop. Bill W.

I bet he's headed for the hills after he saw that.

I had a laugh at Bilboro-lad's comment (#23) when he saw your photo, Melissa. I agreed with him when I saw the state it was in but look at the photo you ended up with, truly amazing.

Posted Images

This a before and after of one of my old 35mm photos.

Neg191983.jpg

Neg191983R.jpg

Thanks, been doing digital photo repair a few years now, tried to start a business, but not enough work around here...Another feller had a go and found the same thing...

This was before cheap photo editing software became common, and good scanners were expensive.

I did a few photos for the few clients I had, and they were happy, one was a panoramic photo taken during the clients military service. There were "blown out" areas, and water damage. I had to scan the photo in two over lapping sections, then do a seamless joint..Turned out good, but I had to limit my time on it, there was still several hours of work left on the photo, but it would have cost him a fortune.

It had tears in the photo, water damage, immulsion was lifting and cracked in places, one of the faces I had to rebuild..Hardest restore I'd had.

I know they can take ages to correct. I've done a lot of old b&w photos for a friend and some of them have been badly marked , creased and ripped which obviously has to be done before working on the rest of the photo. Having sad that I find it to be rewarding when the person sees the result compared to the undoctored one.

There's a lot of satisfaction in seeing an old photo come back to life, some damage I go down to the pixel level to repair, the ones above were scanned from the negatives, so the white dots are holes in the emulsion, where those holes where on buildings, people etc, I went as far as the pixel level to make sure they couldn't be seen on the finished positive.

That one was taken on one Christmas holiday, the first one with my wife over 30 years ago.. The actual photo is faded, that's the reason I scanned the negative/s

I have one of my ex just after we were married nearly 45 years back, a section was real badly damaged, great for practicing on. It still needs work, but I'll get around to it one day...

My wife has a photo of her Mum and Dad with all the kids, it's a large family, I was going to "freshen" it up and print a few copies out for the inlaws.....Yeah right, it's that dimpled paper, so nothing I can do, I hate textured paper...

Is that a textured paper, or is it just a grainy sepia photo???? Looks grainy to me.

Something I've noticed on older photos that have been handled, skin acids leave fingerprints in the emulsion.

Reproduction of an old gold mining town near Ballarat in Victoria, Australia Mick.

Not really, as it's one of the first things a bloke sees when looking at the scene....LOL

I have an old photo of my Mum and two of her brothers that is really badly damaged with tonnes of creases and lines all over the place, surprised it hasn't fallen to bits, will scan it onto my laptop when I get chance and post it to see if anything could be done with it if nobody minds :)

Melissa, most photos can be repaired as long as there's enough data left in it, it's a bit like a burn victim and skin grafts, we take pixels from one area that matches a damaged section and "graft" them in.

• Upvote 1

It's not complicated at all, time consuming, yes, pixels are dots, they make up a digital picture much like the photos found in newspapers. The definition rate of digital photos is measured in pixels, ie 2500 x 1500 per inch greater or lesser, higher definition is made up of a greater number of pixels per inch.

In photo repair, its way better to have the highest definition scan as possible, ie more information to work with.

Not impossible to restore, but with only 17kbs by just over 17kbs of data, not possible.....There's many hours of work there.

Personally, I'd just crop the three children and work with the data there to repair the photo.