Being Easter Sunday" got me to remembering how Sundays used to be,most shops were closed,the sound of church bells,sunday school,visiting relatives (wearing best clothes) bath night,roast beef,families watching "sunday night at the Palladium" together,and generally families being together,pubs closed at 10pm,

A time to unwind and think about the week ahead,

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your description of Sunday Tea sounds just as I remember. In the days when "Red Salmon" was Red and we occasionally had tinned "King Crab". I haven't seen "King Crab" for many years, it was our treat

Being Easter Sunday" got me to remembering how Sundays used to be,most shops were closed,the sound of church bells,sunday school,visiting relatives (wearing best clothes) bath night,roast beef,famili

Sunday tea. Reminds me of being officially 'courting' and going for tea with the other half's family. Ham salad, pineapple chunks and Libby's milk meant the feet were well and truly 'under the table'!

Well the weather aint looking too great today. Seems like a typical Easter Weekend to me.

I remember once a month on Sunday visiting my grandparents in Ruddington. We would have tinned salmon and salad for tea, with bread and butter, followed by Blackcurrant Jelly with bananas in and sterilised cream (the thick stuff in tins) yummy.

And two weeks later on a Saturday, they would visit us and we would have tinned salmon and salad, with bread and butter, followed by tinned fruit, pears, peaches or fruit cocktail, with carnation milk and then homemade cake.

We still have roast every Sunday, even when we are working and living in the caravan. :happy:

• Upvote 4

Your description of Sunday Tea sounds just as I remember.

In the days when "Red Salmon" was Red and we occasionally had tinned "King Crab". I haven't seen "King Crab" for many years, it was our treat, it's so long since I had any, I'm not sure if I still like it. My close family can only get together on Mondays, so for quite a while we have had to change our Roast day to Monday evening at my house. At least we manage to get together that way.

• Upvote 7

Being Easter Sunday" got me to remembering how Sundays used to be,most shops were closed,the sound of church bells,sunday school,visiting relatives (wearing best clothes) bath night,roast beef,families watching "sunday night at the Palladium" together,and generally families being together,pubs closed at 10pm,

A time to unwind and think about the week ahead,

How true that was. Talking to mrs catfan this morning, remembered the last time I ever saw my dad alive was Easter Sunday 54 years ago. A beautiful warm sunny morning. A lot different to this morning when I tried to put the cat out at five thirty, as quick as I put him out he would run back in ! Too cold.

And benjamin1945, don't forget, not being allowed to play on the street on a sunday.

• Upvote 3

very touching about your Dad mate,must have been young. and oh yes my cat did exactly the same,same time aswell,lol

Sunday tea. Reminds me of being officially 'courting' and going for tea with the other half's family. Ham salad, pineapple chunks and Libby's milk meant the feet were well and truly 'under the table'!

• Upvote 5

we had cooked breackfast at 10.30 cooked and served by dad . lunch 3pm after dad came home from the club tead about seven sandwiches cold meat from lunch red salmon or crab on very special ocassions or if we had visitors mums home made cakes and pies . then me and my younger brother had our bath tin bath in front of kitchen fire then up to bed by this time the bigger ones were usually out with there mates mum usually had her bath after we had got to bed and they were all out. bearing in mind noboby locked there dorrs in them days but if the kitchen curtains were closed nobody came in.

i went to sunday school in the afternoon my younger brother never did

It's the radio programmes that were always so much a part of Sundays in the old days for me - 'Family Favourites' at mid-day, then 'Billy Cotton' while having Sunday dinner followed by (typically) 'The Navy Lark' and 'The Clitheroe Kid'

Then it was 'Pick of the Pops' at around 4 o'clock, and, just to put everyone in a miserable mood, at the thought of it being Monday the following day, the incredibly dreary 'Sing Something Simple' at 6pm.

All on the Light Programme, of course.

• Upvote 2

Should we keep sunday special then? although the sundays we"ve talked about are largely a thing of the past,we do maintain a semblence of by-gone days.IE shorter retail trading hours and sunday times on public transport plus some family togetherness.I don"t ask on any religeous grounds,although i think Chistianity gave us a way to live,and it can"t be wrong to love thy neighbour and generally accept the ten commandments.

So what do you think? back the way it was?leave it as it is? or just let Sundays be like any other day?

• Upvote 1

We still keep Sunday as a quiet day, though sometimes we are working. Never go shopping etc etc.

My tenet for life is "Do as you would be done by", not being a Christian, does not mean that I don't have values by which I live.

I try to treat everyone as they come, am tolerant of all faiths and beliefs all of which also have the same values of treating your neighbour with respect, it is only the fanatics who believe that theirs is the only way.

I appreciate all around me, and find my church is in the outside world.

• Upvote 3

My father was a Methodist lay preacher, so we all want to Barnstone chapel in the morning while mum cooked a full Sunday dinner of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings, after dinner we want to Harby chapel, then home to tea,

But when I was around 12yo my dad went to chapel on his own, leaving us kids with mum,

But dad being a Methodist has not rubbed off on me because I now call myself a non Christian believer or Pagan

• Upvote 3

I'm a bit of a purist there Melissa. Only have Yorkshire Pud with beef, along with horse radish sauce. Apple Sauce, (or my homemade apple, orange and cider jelly, or jersey butter) and sage and onion stuffing with pork, parsley and thyme stuffing with chicken and mint sauce, or apple and mint jelly( but usually both!!!) with lamb.

• Upvote 2

i love mint jelly asda is about the only shop i can find it in now my motherin law used to make her ownand thats when i got the taste for it but have not got a resipy for it.

• Upvote 1