i always say i have met more christian minded people outside church i am agnostic myself but other people are able to follow there own relidigions as long as they keep there views to themselfs..i dont like shoping if ican help it on a sunday.

living very near the polish catholic church over the last couple of day have seen lots of polish families young and old comming and going to church to have there decorated eggs in fancy baskets blessed all the ladies and the children carried there baslets to church.

whe i was young the polish couple peter and hanah who lived next door to us ,used to do the same thing when they got back from church they gave all the young children on the terace a small chocolate egg plus a hand painted egg we got some lovely ones with paterns , animals or nursery ryme carectors or fairy tale scenes on . they were beutifully done think if we had them now they would be worth a bob or two.seems to young and old polish people still keep up this tradition but not sure they are painted so well as the ones we had were.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your description of Sunday Tea sounds just as I remember. In the days when "Red Salmon" was Red and we occasionally had tinned "King Crab". I haven't seen "King Crab" for many years, it was our treat

Being Easter Sunday" got me to remembering how Sundays used to be,most shops were closed,the sound of church bells,sunday school,visiting relatives (wearing best clothes) bath night,roast beef,famili

Sunday tea. Reminds me of being officially 'courting' and going for tea with the other half's family. Ham salad, pineapple chunks and Libby's milk meant the feet were well and truly 'under the table'!

I have some recipes for mint jelly Babs. I'll look them out and put them on for you. :)

My favorite thing about Sunday when I was younger was roast beef and yorkshire pud, I'm still a sucker for it and we have it quite often now.

My wife literally drowns her food with mint sauce or jelly, she loves steamed vegies and often makes a meal of them only with lashings of it on top.

I never liked sauce till I came to oz, but here they drown everything with one sort or another so you become accustomed to ketchup or bbq sauce fairly quickly.

The wife still buys HP brown sauce too.

• Upvote 2

#5 King crab,that got me reminiscing carnie" to my days at Marsdens again,the brand was Chatka" and believe it or not we kept it in the safe,at 6/6 per tin we had to.

Its been many years since I saw any King Crab, I can't remember the "brand name" but I lived in Nottingham, so it was pre 1966, perhaps there was only that one name, Chatka. It has a foreign sound to it. Did it used to have a big claw on the top of the white meat, or am I getting mixed up with the little trays the "Prawn Man" used to sell in the pubs? We even had a "Prawn Man" in the pubs here in the "Black Country." 6/6 a tin, I'm not surprised it was kept in the safe. Lol

I THINK CHATKA was japanese,never knew what it looked like carnie,only sold it could"nt afford to BUY it,

Both my parents were from Lincolnshire, and maybe its a thing from around there, but we ate our Yorkshire Pudding then the meat and vegetables, and at times we had it as a dessert with jam, my mother never served it with the meat, and when we visited family in the Boston area, they ate Yorkshire Pudding the same way........

tinned crab was lways a very special ocation such as christmas no wonder at that price a bog of spuds was only five bob for 56 lb lasted us at least a week unless we had a lot of visitors ie mates stopping for tea mum woukd often feed them as well as us even if she only cooked egg chips and beans we always all got fed. a few ofour mates got sent home because she knew there mums would be waiting for them with a meal at home

If there was any Yorkshire Pudding left over, some people used to have it with jam spread on!

I still do! the wifes a "southerner" and calls me a dirty pig" sometimes when i have yorkshire pudding with jam on as well :laugh:

In our house, we would have Yorkshire Pudding as a dessert only if Mum had forgotten to put them in the oven on time, which was quite frequent, thinking about it.

As for Mint sauce (we never had mint jelly and still don't), Mum would make a good size bowl of it, fresh from the garden, and we all loved it. Dad would sit at the table watching us like a hawk to make sure there was plenty left for him. He was so bad about it that Mum in the end would make a separate bowl of mint sauce just for Dad!!! Happy days and this has reminded me of the strawberry season, where my brother and I would count the strawberries in our bowls to make sure we were getting our fair share!

• Upvote 2

Paul, # 39

So she can make Yorkshire Pudding then, being a southerner ?

My husband is a southerner and he'd never had 'good' yorkshires til he met me! He always thought they should look like cup cakes as that's how his mother's turned out.

When making Yorkshire Puddings, I stand in the kitchen and put a teaspoon of Golden Syrup in to the middle of one and just eat it like that. Chris caught me and thought it was horrible until he tried it, and now there's two of us nicking the YPs. There is always evidence, when the warm Golden Syrup Dribbles down your chin! I have to make extra now that there are two tea leafs in the house!

• Upvote 3

Paul, # 39

So she can make Yorkshire Pudding then, being a southerner ?

My husband is a southerner and he'd never had 'good' yorkshires til he met me! He always thought they should look like cup cakes as that's how his mother's turned out.

no chance lizzie,Mary Bakers frozen only"

#42 quote carnie,........"warm golden syrup dribbles down your chin".......sexy thing!

• Upvote 1

I think that was Chris's expression, until he tried it! Lol :biggrin:

I have never tried Raspberry Vinegar, it sounds very nice.

I remember Dad used to make Blackberry Vinegar, we probably had that on YPs (the pantry used to be full of it).

My dads special treat was a tin of crab ! we mere kids were only allowed the miniscule amount, even though I loved it too ! it was so rare that it really was dads special Sunday tea, crab sandwiches with salt and vinegar.

Now I have access to oodles of the fresh stuff, the real mcoy I know why I make a pig of myself :-).

Dad also used to have Yorkshire pudding with jam as a sweet after dinner.

I love it cooked around the beef joint and it picks up all the beefy goodness and tastes great.

My wife's mum used to cook her Yorkshire puddings in Fray Bentos pie tins, all her family used to get one each and her dad two ! when I used to go round for Sunday lunch I nearly died at the size of the portions ! typical Yorkshire mining family meals I was told.

• Upvote 1