I have not made YP for years however the secret to get them to rise up really high is to put the oven on high.

Put the cake tins in with lots of oil in them. When smoking hot drop mix in and put back in oven as quickly as possible.

They should rise really high and look something like this.

Cat_in_the_Hat_zps74abed78.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your description of Sunday Tea sounds just as I remember. In the days when "Red Salmon" was Red and we occasionally had tinned "King Crab". I haven't seen "King Crab" for many years, it was our treat

Being Easter Sunday" got me to remembering how Sundays used to be,most shops were closed,the sound of church bells,sunday school,visiting relatives (wearing best clothes) bath night,roast beef,famili

Sunday tea. Reminds me of being officially 'courting' and going for tea with the other half's family. Ham salad, pineapple chunks and Libby's milk meant the feet were well and truly 'under the table'!

Why would anyone want to buy "off the peg" yorkshires??? They are so easily made in just a couple of minutes.

First time I ever made any was when I was about 19, Mum and Dad had booked their holidays and I couldn't get the time off work.

So the first Sunday, I got everything prepared, put the meat in the oven before I set off for the pub.

When I got back, meat was cooked, so got everything set up, Yorkshire, in the singular in a large rectangular baking pan, and sat down to let everything cook.

Bloody Yorkshire took over the oven!! GOD was it huge!! Never did tell my Mum, or she'd have had me making them every week...LOL

• Upvote 1

Your answer might be in #53. And make the sure the batter is well beaten. My personal view is that you get more air into the mixture by hand beating (for quite a long time) rather than using a mixer - but then, I would, being a curmudgeon!

• Upvote 1

My wife used to mix YP by hand but we now do it in a thermomix and really beat it up, then pour into the very hot oil or meat juices.

I saw a cooking program where the English chef said most failures were due to oil not hot enough or opening the oven door to have closer look at it before its set properly.

He even suggested for toad in the hole, to cook the sausages in the tin over the gas or electric stove top and get them really going before putting in the batter and quickly into a very hot oven to finish off and rise.

I never ever use a mixer, just a fork to beat the batter, just like my Mum used to do. (She didn't have a mixer!). I don't bother with salt, as she did ...... no reason for that at all, just don't bother. And also don't bother with a drop of water because we always have 1% milk anyway, whereas in the 'olden days' you didn't have a choice with yer milk. I wouldn't say I'm a good cook at all but I'm proud of my Yorkshires, lol.

• Upvote 1

When dad had a chippie in the late 50's he would never put raw chips into the fryer unless the smoke was blue. Sometimes I thought the fat was on the point of combustion, but despite some near misses, it never did. They were always great chips.

• Upvote 1