Water Cooling Towers Near the Palais 1928

I was looking at an image of Nottingham and noticed these cooling towers on the edge of the image. I think they are on the site of the later Huntingdon St bus station. The image is dated 1928 and old maps show them as Water Cooling Towers.

Does anyone know what industry or company they belonged to?

13946851485_e0d13de5e3_c.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting...Huntingdon Street was known as Millstone Lane then...and they are water cooling towers..which in turn means a water supply. There is an underground stream there,which was used in earlier

The water cooling towers stood on the site of the present Litmus Building at 195 Huntingdon St., formerly the site of Huntingdon St. Bus Station. The towers were steam condensers for a power station a

they should have kept that building and could have called it Nottingham Castle lol

Posted Images

Venilaion shafts for one of Victoria Station tunnels???? The only "power station" in that area was the AC to DC substation for the trams and later trolley buses and St Anns housing, on the right side of the bus station..

All Nottinghams power at that time came from North Wilford.

Interesting...Huntingdon Street was known as Millstone Lane then...and they are water cooling towers..which in turn means a water supply. There is an underground stream there,which was used in earlier times by the pottery and glass works...hence the names Brook Street and Beck Street nearby.

The building shown opposite the Palais was a cinema/theatre...it was there for just a few years before the Central Market was built.

Those towers were part of an industrial site the size of the Palais...but I can't find a name yet. A street directory may solve that.

I'll search further.

Edit...

By 1936 the towers have disappeared but factories on the site remain.The site was then the bus station...Central Market now built.

jkk4cw.jpg

• Upvote 3

Or fresh water pumps????

It was an electricity generating station . This letter from Nov 1927 seems to confirm . Though can't find the picture of the demolition on King Edward St. as mentioned in the text .

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/13950214083_faa53c4a46.jpg

It's The bottom of St Annn's Well road.

According to Kelly's directory of 1928

Corporation Electric Light Generating Station.

It was still there in 1950 but had gone by 1967

Well at least someone thrown some "light" on the subject....LOL

It's The bottom of St Ann's Well road.

According to Kelly's directory of 1928

Corporation Electric Light Generating Station.

It was still there in 1950 but had gone by 1967

If the generating station was still there in 1950 I wonder why the towers were no longer needed some twenty years earlier.They had certainly gone by the late 20s early 30s.

Fascinating, great stuff. I seem to remember that building next to the bus station as a small power plant. Probably DC for the trolley buses. When you grow up with the place as a bus station and the Central market across the street it is hard to imagine it any other way.